Quick Start Guide — Media Composer
This guide is for Neat Video v5 plug-in for Media Composer being used with Avid Media Composer 2018.12.
If you use another Neat Video plug-in or another video editing application, please select the corresponding quick start guide.
1. Installing the plug-in
To install the Neat Video plug-in for Media Composer:
- Make sure you have started Media Composer at least once before installing the plug-in. If you have not done it yet, start Media Composer and exit it.
- Download the installer of Neat Video for Media Composer:
- If you already purchased the product and have a current license for the Pro plug-in, please download the Pro plug-in from My Products page
- If you want to try Neat Video before purchase, please download the Demo plug-in from Download page
- Start the installer:
Double-click the downloaded EXE file to start the installer
a. Double-click the downloaded DMG file to mount the disk image
b. In the mounted disk image, double-click the Install file to start it
(you may be prompted to enter the Name / Password of the MacOS administrator account)
- Proceed through the steps of the installation process. Use the default settings offered by the installer. This should automatically make the plug-in available to Media Composer.
- Start Media Composer and find Neat VIdeo > Reduce Noise v5 in the Media Composer’s Effect Palette.
If Neat Video has not become available in Media Composer, please contact Neat Video support for assistance.
2. Running Neat Video on a sample video clip
Please download the test-kit prepared to help you start using Neat Video. Having downloaded, please unzip it to a new folder on the hard disk.
The test-kit includes a sample video clip: SampleClip.mp4. This is a typical video clip captured by a digital video camera in high-gain mode. Some technical information about the sample clip is available in the SampleClipInfo.txt file.
Please start Media Composer and go through the steps below to clean the clip using Neat Video.
2.1. Add the sample clip to the project
1. Configure a new project in Media Composer
Create a new project called “SampleClip” in Media Composer and select the “1080p/25” format. Then click the Ok button and Media Composer will open the new project with the Timeline, Composer, Bin and other windows:
2. Add the sample clip file to the project
Click the Bin window in Media Composer and then use the File > Input > Import Media... menu to import the SampleClip.mp4 file into SampleClip Вin :
3. Add the sample clip to the composition
- Use the Timeline > New > Sequence menu to create a new sequence called “SampleClip Sequence”:
- Select the sample clip in the SampleClip Bin window and drag-n-drop the clip in the Timeline – SampleClip Sequence window.
- Select the Full Quality option in Video Quality Menu in the Timeline window.
2.2. Add Neat Video to the composition
- Use the Tools > Effect Palette menu to open the list of available video effects:
- Select Neat Video > Reduce Noise v5 in the list and drag-n-drop the effect in the Timeline window on top of the sample clip:
- Use the Tools > Effect Editor menu to open the Effect Editor window:
2.3. Configure Neat Video
1. Open Neat Video plug-in window
- Use the Timeline controls to select a frame with large flat featureless areas; the selected frame will be used for noise analysis in the next stages.
- In the Effect Editor window, click the Configure... button to open the main Neat Video plug-in window.
(If you run the Demo plug-in, click OK in the popup splash screen of the plug-in to proceed further).
The Neat Video plug-in window will open and display the current frame from the clip.
2. Build a noise profile for the clip
To reduce noise in this frame and in the whole clip, Neat Video needs a noise profile describing the noise properties of the clip. You can prepare such a profile using the Auto Profile function:
In the Prepare Noise Profile tab click
Neat Video will automatically find an area without details and will analyze noise in that area to build a new noise profile:
- Visually inspect the selected area. It should contain no visible details, only noise; otherwise the noise profile and subsequent noise reduction may be inaccurate.
If the selected area does contain any details, then move the selection to a featureless area or simply draw a new selection in such an area (the selection must be at least 32x32 pixels large). Then click the Build Profile button.
- After that the noise profile is ready and Neat Video can reduce noise in the clip.
3. Check Preview
- Switch to the Adjust and Preview tab
You will notice that Neat Video has already applied noise reduction based on the default filter settings and the preview shows a clearly visible difference: there is less noise than in the original frame.
You can try to adjust the filter settings and see how that affects the results. For example, try to adjust the Temporal Filter > Radius setting (in the Temporal tab in the Filter Settings box in the right part of the window) from 2 to 1 or to a higher value. This will apply weaker or stronger temporal noise reduction to the frame (see the user guide for more details).
4. Apply the changes
- Click in the bottom of the plug-in window.
Neat Video will save the current settings and close its main window.
(If you run the Demo plug-in, it will also describe the limitations of the Demo version at this point).
Once this step is completed and Neat Video window is closed, the filter is ready for work.
The preview in Media Composer now shows the clip with noise reduction applied to it:
2.4. Render the video
To apply Neat Video noise reduction
- Use the Timeline > Render > Render At Position... menu item in Media Composer to prepare and evaluate a preview.
Media Composer will then apply Neat Video noise reduction to the sample clip to help you evaluate the filtration results (and adjust the filter settings if necessary). You will see that the noise in the resulting clip is significantly reduced while the true details are preserved.
Please see the User Guide for more details about adjusting the filter settings and other aspects of using Neat Video. These Video Tutorials will also help you to get the most out of Neat Video noise reduction.
Get the full version
Happy with the denoising results provided by Neat Video Demo? Then it is time to get a full license for your current and future projects.