Best combination CPU GPU backwards

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
D William A

Best combination CPU GPU backwards

Post by D William A »

At the moment I cant post my results becasue I am rendering like crazy to get a project done

but when I went to optimize my best combination was only 1 CPU with GPU with 0 radius and each subsequent cpu core was progressiviely worse. 1 core was about 7.5 frames and 2 cores immediately dropped to like .75 fps and by the time we got to 8 cores it was down to .250 fps.

I am running a 8 core I7 processer (4 phys 4 virt) and a 1 gig GT460 vid card with 1 gig vid ram.... 16 gigs of main ram

I have optimized before and it usually gets better as you add CPU cores up till about 5 or 6 cores. but this last time it was backwards?

puzzled?
D William A

Post by D William A »

running Premier CS5.5 btw. with cuda enabled
D William A

Post by D William A »

Both read and write hard drives are Intel 520 SSD's
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

That sounds abnormal. Could you send the optimize logs to support [at] neatvideo.com please?

Which version (number) of Neat Video is it?

Thank you,
Vlad
D William A

Too late, seems to work now

Post by D William A »

already deleted the source AVI files after rendering to free up hard drive space. I tried to replicate the situation by loading 5 timelines and lots of effects and the optimize results were awesome... 1 core with GPU was 10 fps maximizing at 4 cores with GPU at 28 fps.

running 3.2.0 64 bit windows.

I did notice when working the bad premiere file before that I had to wait methodically to select each video timeline segment while neat video would take 5 or 10 seconds to open, sometimes it would not open at all and give me the standard error page about not having properly selected the right kind of file or something, try again and it would load just fine. Just now it took about 30 seconds to open neat video on a 1 hour clip, the section maximized at 5 cores with GPU at 52.6 fps. (lots of still video in this clip) On bigger clips I can see how it would take some seconds to load like this, but on the bad files it would fail on small 5 minutes clips and take 10 seconds to load.

I tried exporting the troublesome timeline to MPEG without neat video too and tried running neat video on the resultant MPEG2, and it also had reverse core results and was estimating 80 plus hours to run a 1 hour clip

Also, when it was running the maximizing test it was real slow.... now it runs very fast.

something must have been corrupt with the files in questions because all seems good now. Unfortunately I can't provide details now.
D William A

Post by D William A »

Next project... experienced the same issue, this time I noticed that I changed something... in preferences it had 4 checked in the box with the side note saying I have 4 phys and 4 virtual drives... I had changed that to 8. With 8 selected it gave me reverse results and my GPU memory reported available was low... only 325 or so... s/b 700 something out of 1 gig usually. So I rebooted came back left the box at 4 and recieved resultes that improved as the CPU cores increased and had results like 57fps with GPU 4 cores....

I go to render the project and it takes 5 hours to churn through the first 10 minutes of material where Neat was used.. and it took 20 minutes to churn the remaining 40 minutes of Non Neat footage.

Using Premiere CC. 8 core processor, 16 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig cuda GPU... premiere blasts through everything, except Neat. this is with V3.4 64 bit.

I don't have time to figure this out today.... must complete this project. not sure where Neat and me stand in the future - Be nice if it were some simple thing.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please set NV to use only CPU, set it to 5 cores and try to run your project, see if it works better.

Also, please run Optimize in NV just after starting Premiere and after some rendering and then e-mail two optimize logs to support [at] neatvideo.com for analysis.

Thank you,
Vlad