Adaptive Filtration versus Multiple Sample Areas

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
vids4all

Adaptive Filtration versus Multiple Sample Areas

Post by vids4all »

I have a video clip that contains five scenes. Each scene was recorded by the same camera in different areas, some outdoors and others indoors with varying light levels.

To apply noise reduction, I could split the clip so each scene becomes its own clip. Then for each of the five new clips, manually select a sample noise area and apply the noise reduction to each clip separately.

Or, I could leave the single clip as-is, and select a sample noise area from any of the five scenes. Then turn on Adaptive Filtration to automatically figure out the noise reduction for all the other scenes in the clip.

How can I judge whether to rely on Adaptive Filtration for the entire clip, or if I should make the effort to split scenes and apply noise reduction to each one separately?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You can judge by doing visual inspection of the results. You can try to save the setup time (and let Adaptive do the job) and then check the results in different parts of the clip to see if they look good enough. If you see that the quality is reduced (for example more details become lost) in some parts of the clip then it may have sense to try to treat them individually (by splitting the clip and using separate instances of the filter).

If the noise is not very different then Adaptive can be sufficient. If the noise is very different then it may require individual treatment.

Vlad