Temporal Filter Strength

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
Felix

Temporal Filter Strength

Post by Felix »

Hi,

as the Black Magic Cinema Camera is about to launch, many RAW files from beta testers have been made publicly available.

I tested them a lot and since they´re RAW they have no noise reduction at all applied so they need to be denoised, even at the lower ISOs.

The problem is (I stated this before in the forum) the temporal filter alone - without any luma/chroma noise reduction is too strong! It gets rid of all the noise, litteraly ALL plus unfortunately some image details.

Usually (with my FS700) I just overlay the denoised video with an uncorrected version but that´s no option with the Black Magic Camera because that would not only reintroduce luma but chroma noise, too.

So an option to tame the temporal filter strength would be great. To set it to 70% for example

Cheers
Felix
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for the suggestion. We will probably add something like that in the future versions.

In the meantime:
- make sure the noise profile is accurate, to avoid too aggressive filtration (if you lose any details);
- when overlaying the original and filtered clip, use the transparency control to set the desired level of transparency of the filterer clip (for example 70%) to achieve the same effect as a requested control for the amount of noise reduction.

Thank you,
Vlad