Neat Video in Final Cut Pro X v 10.0.3

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
mikeybouchereau

Neat Video in Final Cut Pro X v 10.0.3

Post by mikeybouchereau »

Apparently a major bug in FCPX has be fixed. It has allowed Genarts to Release Sapphire, and has allowed Red Giant to release looks for Final Cut Pro X. Is there any chance you will bring Neat Video to FCPX now?? I would really love to be able to use Neat Video directly in FCPX and not have to process my footage in motion before hand.

Thanks!
valleo

Post by valleo »

This would be awesome!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The first tests show that several problems are still there in 10.0.3. Motion 5.0.2 is still fine (did not get worse).

Using NV in FCPX currently can in principle be made possible but in a limited way. I will describe how it could look like. It will not currently work this way, so no need to try to follow these steps yet. Just how it could look like, given the existing limitations of FCPX (unless they are finally lifted, which is technically possible, Apple can do that):

1) You would create a Final Cut Effect with Neat Video in Motion 5;

2) Then you would publish the (available for publishing) settings of the Neat Video's Reduce Noise effect: temporal filter radius, threshold, adaptive filtration; this would make the effect available in FCPX;

3) Then you would find that new Neat Video-based effect in FCPX and apply it to a clip;

4) You would then see that in FCPX you would be able to adjust only those published settings of the effect (temporal filter radius, threshold, adaptive filtration) but nothing else in Neat Video. You could not for example open the main window of the Neat Video to build/re-build a noise profile, adjust the intra-frame filter settings, etc. All those would not be accessible in FCPX due to the artificial limitations of this new FCPX architecture (the limitations that were not present in FCP7/6 and that are not present in Motion, they are artificially imposed upon FCPX by Apple, presumably to simplify its GUI for beginners). The only way to adjust those settings would be to return back to Motion, adjust the effect there, save again and return to FCPX. New clip (new noise profile) - back to Motion, another frame size - back to Motion to create a separate Final Cut Effect for that size, want to change some settings and check preview - back to Motion and only then check preview in FCPX. Such round-tripping workflow would perhaps defeat (to some extent) the purpose of using the filter directly in FCPX. It would be easier and faster to just apply the filtration using Motion alone.

What do you think? Would you be able to use Neat Video in FCPX in such a limited way with a lot of round-tripping between Motion and FCPX?

Vlad
etidona

Post by etidona »

Hello,
I think I would be able to use NV that way, maybe creating a set of noise profiles for my needs. Using Motion alone is a pain for fast workflow, thank you for asking!
I noticed other software houses can now pop-up their own user interface in fcpx for their filters, but I'm sure you have good technical reasons for not doing it.
All the best.
Emiliano.
mikeybouchereau

NVTeam wrote:The first tests show that several problems are still there in 10.0.3. Motion 5.0.2 is still fine (did not get worse).

Using NV in FCPX currently can in principle be made possible but in a limited way. I will describe how it could look like. It will not currently work this way, so no need to try to follow these steps yet. Just how it could look like, given the existing limitations of FCPX (unless they are finally lifted, which is technically possible, Apple can do that):

1) You would create a Final Cut Effect with Neat Video in Motion 5;

2) Then you would publish the (available for publishing) settings of the Neat Video's Reduce Noise effect: temporal filter radius, threshold, adaptive filtration; this would make the effect available in FCPX;

3) Then you would find that new Neat Video-based effect in FCPX and apply it to a clip;

4) You would then see that in FCPX you would be able to adjust only those published settings of the effect (temporal filter radius, threshold, adaptive filtration) but nothing else in Neat Video. You could not for example open the main window of the Neat Video to build/re-build a noise profile, adjust the intra-frame filter settings, etc. All those would not be accessible in FCPX due to the artificial limitations of this new FCPX architecture (the limitations that were not present in FCP7/6 and that are not present in Motion, they are artificially imposed upon FCPX by Apple, presumably to simplify its GUI for beginners). The only way to adjust those settings would be to return back to Motion, adjust the effect there, save again and return to FCPX. New clip (new noise profile) - back to Motion, another frame size - back to Motion to create a separate Final Cut Effect for that size, want to change some settings and check preview - back to Motion and only then check preview in FCPX. Such round-tripping workflow would perhaps defeat (to some extent) the purpose of using the filter directly in FCPX. It would be easier and faster to just apply the filtration using Motion alone.

What do you think? Would you be able to use Neat Video in FCPX in such a limited way with a lot of round-tripping between Motion and FCPX?

Vlad

I understand the current version has this limitation. But other developer such as Red Giant and Genarts, use additional windows to add features.

Red Giant has a video showing how their looks application loads, and Genarts uses a check box to launch their looks browers. I do not know if this is revelent to the way that Neat Video would be applied if FCPX, but from what i've read it sounds like many of the limitations of passing video or a frame into another application (window) to apply settings or different filters is now working?

Here is a video from Red Giant how their looks works with passing the info from fcpx to looks then back again.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/blog/20 ... nd-50-off/
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, we are currently evaluating such workarounds as well. We tried them with the previous versions of FCPX in the past and that usually led to FCPX crashes. We will see if the latest 10.0.3 coupled with the latest plug-in SDK (released by Apple yesterday) will help to avoid that now.

Vlad
mredig

Post by mredig »

NVTeam wrote:What do you think? Would you be able to use Neat Video in FCPX in such a limited way with a lot of round-tripping between Motion and FCPX?

Vlad
This is actually exactly how I would expect it to work. If we can get fine tuned control in FCP X, that's even better. However, having presets made in Motion allowing us to just apply it to footage in FCP would be a Godsend.

Right now I have to go through After Effects to denoise, which is lengthy and cumbersome. This feature would be enough for me to actually buy a second license to use in FCP.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Well, it may be technically possible to achieve that with the current version of FCPX. We are looking into this now. That is the first goal.

Another issue is opening the main dialog from FCPX. That would be ideal but it is quite possible that 10.0.3 just cannot do that correctly yet. We are looking into this as well.

I will post updates here as we get any news from Apple or get any results with 10.0.3.

Vlad
mikeybouchereau

Vlad,

Thank you so much. Neat is the best plugin I own. It has saved so much footage.
itsDavidAbraham

Post by itsDavidAbraham »

Thanks for looking into it. I'll take whatever I can get :)
jleino

Post by jleino »

Just wanted to chime in and say that definitely yes, this would be super useful for everyone who uses FCP X.
affinityphoto

suggestions for fcpx feedback?

Post by affinityphoto »

Vlad,

Can you suggest concisely what I should be harping on about to the FCP X dev team to make it possible for you to deliver the plugin you want? If enough of us submit feedback, they should get the hint.

-Sean
Seattle, WA
www.affinityseattle.com
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If you want to help, please contact FCP X people and simply say that having Neat Video directly in FCP X is important for your work. They will know what issues need to be addressed.

Thank you for your support.

Vlad
mikeybouchereau

Vlad,

I have submitted feedback to apple.

Any word on how it looks with 10.0.3 update? any chance we can see Neat Video in this version of FCPX, even with limited functionality?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you very much for your help.

Regarding 10.0.3:
The first tests show that several problems are still there in 10.0.3.

It may be technically possible to get the basic functionality of the filter with 10.0.3. We are working on that.

Another issue is opening the main dialog from FCPX. That would be ideal but it looks like that 10.0.3 just cannot do that correctly yet. There will be a fix in FCPX to address that issue.

I will post updates here as we get any further news.

Vlad