Progressive vs. Interlaced

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Jonathan Hickman

Progressive vs. Interlaced

Post by Jonathan Hickman »

First off, I've been using Neat Video for several months now on interlaced footage. Results have been very good.

Last month, I started cutting my AVCHD footage on a progressive timeline in FCP. The workflow involves transcoding the footage to Pro Res and then putting the clips onto a progressive timeline (or into a progressive sequence). My understanding is that this returns the footage to the 30p original that the sensor of my two cameras (the Sony Nex-5 and the Sony HXR-50U) capture in. It is the AVCHD container that is interlaced. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether I should make any changes in the Neat Video product setup now that I've changed the way I'm handling the footage. There is an old thread on this from 2009, but I can figure out how to make the selection in the plug-in from interlaced to progressive. Perhaps a software update has made that unnecessary.

Please advise me how I can make the necessary change if it is warranted.

Thanks!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

FCP informs the plug-in about the type of footage (interlaced or progressive) so Neat Video automatically adjusts itself when you add it to a progressive sequence or to an interlaced sequence.

In progressive sequence, you will see the full frame inside the Neat Video window. In the bottom of the NV window, you will see a note "Frame: NxM" describing the size of the frame.

In interlaced sequence, you will see one field (from the interlaced video stream or upper/lower fields) inside the Neat Video. The note will say "Field: NxK", where K is twice smaller than M.

So, you can add Neat Video to either type of sequences and it will work correctly in any case. It is important to build and use noise profiles upon the same type of footage, not mixing interlaced with progressive (do not use a "progressive" profile to filter interlaced footage).

Hope this helps,
Vlad
Jonathan Hickman

Post by Jonathan Hickman »

Thanks your response, I'm sending you screen grabs by email. It is a strange problem.