GPU assisted possible / useful?

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Some good news for CUDA users: please see the new major version of Neat Video. :-)

Please post your benchmarks from the new Optimize feature of Neat Video 3.

Vlad
vvulture

Post by vvulture »

Are we going to see a solution for us AMD ( ATi ) users ? or is this going to be a CUDA exclusive like all other developers do ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I certainly hope so. However, there are reasons to believe that the performance improvements will not be as good (as compared with CUDA). There are technical reasons behind that.

Vlad
vvulture

Post by vvulture »

The performance gap would be minimal, but it sure would be nice to use my Crossfire 6950's to do the work... it would still make a huge difference.

cheers
vvulture

Post by vvulture »

Any news on this yet ? Is an AMD/ATi solution going to come to fruition ? please..... :wink:
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Implementing support for a new GPU platform is not easy and certainly not fast. Please be patient.

Thank you,
Vlad
vvulture

Post by vvulture »

Right.. i understand.
However, i wasn't asking if the "implementation" was finished . I was merely wondering if it was going to happen or not... thats all.

cheers 8)
Maccara

Post by Maccara »

NVTeam wrote:Implementing support for a new GPU platform is not easy and certainly not fast. Please be patient.
Really? I find porting CUDA to OpenCL quite trivial... Are you using some CUDA exclusive features extensively which make this difficult?

I realize, due to some options available for CUDA memory handling, that OpenCL version may take a severe hit in performance, but us ATI users would still welcome any performance improvements, even if minor.

Hopefully this will be realizable at some point, but until then, I'm still happy with v3 upgrade.
Maccara

Post by Maccara »

mathewlisett wrote:"it seems clear that we could have cuda and opencl etc on a card, but then you would either have a very expesnive card due to the "money making" situaiton becuase the card makers would know by doing this they woudl lose profit on simply creating each card for each feature.
You do realize nVidia supports OpenCL too?

So it's not "we could have" but "we do have". It's only that CUDA is not available for others and OpenCL is available for "everyone". Admittedly CUDA has some features (for memory handling) which may make it worthwhile to still have that supported separately to get that extra oompf on nVidia (can't say, only NV team can confirm this).
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Porting like that depends on many things including cross-platform issues. As you may notice, we develop NV for three OSes. CUDA supports them all very well, it is very stable and fast. It is a very mature technology at this stage. Unlike OpenCL, which is quite young and still has many more problems, especiall on non-Windows platforms. In some cases, they make OpenCL not worth using or not usable at all, typically because of the driver problems.

On NVidia cards, CUDA is more efficient than OpenCL. On ATI.. well, we will get there too, just give us some time to find solutions to all those issues.

Vlad
Maccara

Post by Maccara »

Ah, yes, didn't take into account multiple platform support at all. Practically ATI is the only one with mature OpenCL drivers at the moment (at least from my testing).

This is expected to improve, though.

Thanks for the info on what you've found to be the current issues.
vvulture

Post by vvulture »

Hey Vlad,
Not asking if an ATi/AMD GPU solution is finished yet, but i would like to know if it is currently being developed and if so, do you have a rough eta ?

Thx. :)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

We are evaluating all available options. I will let you know when more information is available.

Vlad
vvulture

Post by vvulture »

Hi vlad.

Just wondering how your evaluation process has progressed in the last month... Any update yet ?

The reason for my persistence in this matter is because i am holding off processing hundreds of videos in the event that an ATi/AMD solution becomes available.

If you have no plans in doing this, could you please let us know so that i / we can move on ? Would be a real shame tho...

Thx buddy...
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Regardless of our plans, I recommend to not wait and start processing with what you have. There will always be something better in the future but why wait if you need the results today.

Vlad