Memory in FCP

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
fireflyblu

Same Problem...on Mac FCS 3

Post by fireflyblu »

I've been getting this error every time I try to render a short (5-second clip). I have a 2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 8gb RAM on a 512 SSD. I've tried disabling multiprocessor support. I've rebooted many times. The error reads:

Error!
Line: 185
Error: Neat Video cannot get free memory block from the operating system (or plug-in host).
(2073600-byte memory block is requested from 90f4ac53)
Please make more memory available for the application and retry.

I know FCP is only a 32-bit app, but disabling multiprocessor support should have fixed this, I'd have thought.

I've also tried creating a new sequence for this tiny clip, closing other open sequences, and making currently unused files appear "offline" to FCP.

I've even tried creating a new project, adding only the clip that I'd like to apply de-noise to, closed everything else, and I *still* get the same error.

Any help is much appreciated. Love this plug-in...it's saved many clips for this movie. :D :shock:

And just to note: it crashes 100% of the time now. My timeline is only about 10 minutes. Verrrrry frustrating.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

This thread has been about Vegas so far, FCP is another beast entirely. However, methods to reduce memory use are similar in both cases. - Please try to reduce the amount of RAM given to the host (FCP) itself:

Preferences > System Settings > Memory & Cache > Application

By default, it is usually set to 100%. Please try to reduce to something like 60-70% or lower.

The multiprocessor support is NV Preferences controls only the way NV itself uses available cores (either one or all), it does not control how FCP uses them.

Vlad

P.S. I will split this latest discussion of FCP into a new thread after a while to not mix with Vegas.
fireflyblu

Post by fireflyblu »

Thanks. FCP doesn't even use all cores right now because it's not written for it (yet). So I knew that NV's setting wouldn't affect FCP. :)

Based on some searches, I may have found the culprit. I had two large still images, which somehow kills FCP. I reduced their size. While I still see the error, it's not as frequent.

I've changed the memory allowed to FCP from 100% to 70%. We'll see what happens. FCP is only a 32-bit app though, so it can only handle <4gb of RAM anyway (on my 8gb system).

Thanks,
Ryan
fireflyBLU.com
fireflyblu

Post by fireflyblu »

OK, I've tried allocating 60% memory to FCP. I've tried deleting all my stills. I've tried opening it in only one sequence will all others closed.

I've also tried adding just a single, 1-second clip to a *new* project and I'm still getting the error. :shock:

I've even uninstalled all other 3rd-party plugins for FCP.

I've got a powerhouse system here....what could possibly be the problem??

On a side note, it would be ****REALLY**** nice if NV didn't crash FCP completely every time. It would be great if it could just fail gracefully...without crashing FCP!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If the problem is so easily reproducable, could you prepare a small test project with a short test clip and e-mail it to support [at] neatvideo.com?
We would run your test project, reproduce the error and see what is causing it. I guess there is something in the project settings.

Vlad
fireflyblu

Post by fireflyblu »

First of all, thank you for replying in this forum. It's great to find a developer who cares about the buyer.

Not sure any project would be sufficiently small since it's for clips that are in HD; even though they're just a few seconds long, that's big for ProRes 422....and my upload speeds aren't even considered broadband anymore.

However, I've reduced the memory for FCP to something insanely low: 30%. And voila, it seems (for the moment) to be working. Real bummer to be able to use even less than FCP allows...we'll see what a hindrance it becomes.[/u]
fireflyblu

Post by fireflyblu »

Shoot...Spoke too soon. I went to edit a clip that's only 2 seconds long (in the timeline) and it first gave the FCP "Out of Memory" error, followed by the aforementioned NV error.

As a reminder, this entire sequence is only ~12 minutes long. I see no reason why this should be happening--like I said, my system is crazy-fast.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Could you create a fresh new project with just one short clip for a test? Not load an existing project, but create a completely new one and see if it will reproduce the error message as well. If it will reproduce the problem with a short clip then it should be easy to transfer this project to us for testing. Once the problem is reproducable on our computers we can identify the causes and find a solution. If it is not reproducable then we will have to check what makes your computer different. Perhaps there is something running on it that interferes with the rendering process.

In any case, please try to create a test project, reproduce the problem and then send the project (with clip) to support [at] neatvideo.com so that we could also directly reproduce the error condition.

Thank you,
Vlad
atlfokus

Post by atlfokus »

Just purchased NV last night and had this exact problem the first time I used it. Totally crashed my FCP, can't get the error message to go away without force quitting the app.

I'm running 10.6.6 Quad Core Intel Xeon w/10gb RAM.

Footage is 1920x1280 ProRes422.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ap
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

As recommended above, please try the following with FCP:
Please try to reduce the amount of RAM given to the host (FCP) itself:

Preferences > System Settings > Memory & Cache > Application

By default, it is usually set to 100%. Please try to reduce to something like 60-70% or lower.
Hope this helps,
Vlad