NV for VDub 2.6 "cannot find default profile.dnp"

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
emmrecs

NV for VDub 2.6 "cannot find default profile.dnp"

Post by emmrecs »

I realise this may be something to do with the way I work but...

I run NV for VDub as a plug-in within MAGIX Video Pro X 2.5. It works exactly as expected.

But I am currently working on SD footage, captured in quite low light, which, after increasing brightness in VPX, then inevitably shows "noise". I insert NV as a plug-in to each clip, configure its settings>OK. All works properly.

Since I am continuing to work on other audio and/or video tracks I do not at this stage render the project but do later save it.

When I reopen the project, NV is still assigned to each clip but I receive a pop-up message that NV "cannot find the default.dnp" in the main NV Program folder, but there is a "default.nfp" (note different extension) in that folder. This means I have to reconfigure NV again for each clip.

If I click on the option to save the current profile the automatic location is My Documents>Neat Video for Virtual Dub>Presets, where it will save the file as **.dnp.

Is this expected behaviour? I certainly don't remember this happening with the previous version of NV for V Dub, i.e the profile must be recreated every time the project is closed and then reopened.

Jeff

CORRECTION: the message received is cannot find "Recent Profile.dnp", not "default.dnp". Sorry for any confusion. I did wonder whether this was related to the fact my computer had been turned off between the times when I first started work on the project and when I reopened it, but it isn't. I've just reopened the project after a break of some two hours but with the computer constantly running and the same message appeared.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I think the solution would be to save each new profile you build a clip, so that it would be explicitly available on the disk as a separate file: one clip - one profile. Save them to a folder that is accessible at all times so that when you re-open the plug-in from Magix, the plug-in was able to re-load each profile. Normally, profiles go to My Documents\Neat Video for Virtual Dub\Profiles\, and presets - to My Documents\Neat Video for Virtual Dub\Presets\. If you observe anything else, correct that. Also check the folder settings in NV Preferences, they should point to those two folders.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

Hi Vlad.

Thanks for this reply. I have created a profile which is saved in the folder you list "(My Documents\Neat...\Profiles)" but every time I re-open the project I get the message that NV cannot find that Recent Profile, apparently because it is looking in "...ProgramFiles\Neat Video for Virtual Dub\Profiles" which (folder) doesn't exist!

You mention changing settings in NV Preferences. I assume you mean Tools>Options>Folders. I have edited the paths for both Profiles and Presets to point to those folders in My Documents, but what should be the settings for the two options on that screen "Use independent open and save folders", currently UNticked, and "Use independent folders for profiles and presets", currently ticked?

Anyway, having edited those paths, saved and closed the project, then re-opened it I still have the same message, that NV is looking for "Recent Profile.nfp" in "Program Files", which is "not found on this hard drive". Is there any significance in that different file extension? I see I have a number of .nfp files but these are stored in the "Presets" folder, not the "Profiles" folder in My Documents and not in Program Files.

Any advice very gratefully received!

Jeff
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It looks like you are using an older version of the plug-in, not version 2.6.
Please double-check that in the first place. Please go to menu Help > About (in Neat Video). Perhaps you installed v2.6 but didn't replace the plug-in inside MAGIX. Please double-check all that and then we will return to profiles and presets.

Thank you,
Vlad
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

You are right. The version shown in Magix is 2.2!!

Thank you!

But how do I now update the version inside Magix? Do I need to run the installer again, having deleted the current .vdf file?

Thanks again!

Jeff
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

No, the installer will not add the plug-in to magix, you must do that manually, just like you did that in the past. v2.2 was placed there somehow, please use the same method.

Vlad
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

Thanks Vlad.

I simply copied the .vdf file to the appropriate directories!

BUT now VPX tells me the plug-in version is unsupported!! I still have the version 2.2 vdf so can revert to that but would prefer to use the latest version.

Any ideas?

Jeff
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If you use the correct version of Neat Video plug-in (I guess VPX is 32-bit so NV must be 32-bit too) and VPX still doesn't like it then it is necessary to contact VPX developers. However it may be just version mismatch (32 vs 64) which you can fix yourself.

Vlad
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

It is the 32 bit version and yes, VPX is 32 bit so I think this must be a problem in VPX!!

I will post on the VPX forum to see if anyone else there is experiencing this problem. As a last resort I can process the footage in VDub itself and then import it to VPX.

Thanks again for all your help!

Jeff
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

For anybody who might come up against this problem...

My "kludgy" workaround is to have BOTH version 2.2 and 2.6 .vdf files available within VPX. (I renamed the earlier version as "Neat Video22.vdf" so that Windows would not try to overwrite one or the other of them).

The principle reason why I need both versions in this scenario is because I sometimes need to run NV on AVCHD (.mts) files which have been recorded in very low light and VDub does not recognise/cannot open such files!

Jeff
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Install avisynth and ffdshow, and create a simple aivsynht script like :

Code: Select all

DirectShowSource("file.mts",fps=xx.xxxx)
xx.xxx = 25.000 or 23.976 or 29.97, don't know the fps of your video.
You'll be able to open your video on VDub.
More, take a look at DGIndexNV (google search it), it works with avisynth also, and it may be the best option to open your .mts file on VDub.
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

Install avisynth and ffdshow, and create a simple aivsynht script like :
Code:
DirectShowSource("file.mts",fps=xx.xxxx)

xx.xxx = 25.000 or 23.976 or 29.97, don't know the fps of your video.
You'll be able to open your video on VDub.
More, take a look at DGIndexNV (google search it), it works with avisynth also, and it may be the best option to open your .mts file on VDub.
Hi. Thanks for this!

Unfortunately I don't understand! I'm not a computer high-flyer, just a reasonably competent user, so if you could give me more information about what you're suggesting I'd be very grateful!

I did google DGIndexNV but found only a lot of forum discussions, which I confess I didn't understand. I do have DGIndex and ffdshow on my PC and have downloaded, though not installed AviSynth.

TIA.

Jeff
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

emmrecs wrote: I did google DGIndexNV but found only a lot of forum discussions, which I confess I didn't understand. I do have DGIndex and ffdshow on my PC and have downloaded, though not installed AviSynth.
Jeff
You first need to install Avisynth, otherwise, you will not be able to do anything. DGindexNV is not freeware, and if not used to avisynth, should be in a second time.
Avisynth script are simple text file, with .avs extention (instead of .txt).
So, first install avisynth, and create an avisynth script with the command i've describe to you.
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

jpsdr wrote:You first need to install Avisynth, otherwise, you will not be able to do anything. DGindexNV is not freeware, and if not used to avisynth, should be in a second time.
Avisynth script are simple text file, with .avs extention (instead of .txt).
So, first install avisynth, and create an avisynth script with the command i've describe to you.
Thank you!

I'm getting there! The processed file increased in size from 49MB to 2.96GB. I know AVCHD is a compressed format but would you expect that much increase? It's not a problem in terms of storage space - I have a total of over 2TB over various HDDs - but the data rate from my external USB2 HDD seems to not be fast enough to allow smooth playback!! (I do have a defragger running constantly in the background so fragmentation should not be a problem).

I know you said DGIndexNV was not freeware. Not a particular problem, but where can I find it? That Google search revealed only discussions about it, not how to get it!

BTW, Vlad, apologies for using the NV forum for a discussion which relates to NV somewhat peripherally!

Jeff
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

DGIndexNV can be found here : http://neuron2.net/dgdecnv/dgdecnv.html

You've probably save your file on uncompressed format !
I'll suggest you to use UT Video codecs : http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Ut_ ... _Suite.htm
These are lossless codec, you can expect around 25GB of size file for a 25mn YV12 file.