Same Settings For All Clips

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Pyramid Pyro

Same Settings For All Clips

Post by Pyramid Pyro »

I just got this and, like most other users here, I'm really impressed. So far, I've just been trying to determine how much is too much and how much is not enough before I go applying it to live projects.

My question is, what do you think of using about 1-3 presets for all clips?

I have not created a camera profile so far but I've created some presets for Lum-Crom-Sharp (basic settings) after applying "Auto."

I have (in preliminary testing) decided that my clips shot outside at night and inside with low light should get 50-0-0, while sunny outside shots or well lit inside shots should get 10-0-0.

The idea is that since all my shots would fall into about 1-3 categories, I would simply paste these filter settings to the appropriate clip.

Is there anything wrong with this? It's ridiculously simple.

Erik
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I would rather recommend to build an accurate noise profile for each new clip you process (just by using Auto Profile inside that clip) AND most of the time just to use the default filter settings. The key to accurate noise reduction is building accurate noise profiles (which is quite easy and mostly automatic) and plus some occasional adjusments of filter settings. Replacing building accurate noise profiles with adjustments of filter settings is not very good idea in my opinion. It may work but not always (depends on actual noise in specific clips) and it is methodically not the best. I recommend to build good noise profiles, this is important. Master that and you will get good filtration results almost automatically.

Vlad
Pyramid Pyro

Post by Pyramid Pyro »

What I'm seeing is that when the auto profile is generated for a specific clip, the settings go straight to 60-100-0. Even though the numbers are the same, are you saying that something else is going on in background based on the clip properties (the profile created). So the numbers may be the same but they are handled differently depending on the clip profile. Is that right?

Erik
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The numbers in the filter settings are relative to the measurements in the noise profile. If the noise profile is accurate then those relative adjustments in the filter settings are fine even if you leave them on defaults. On the other hand, if the noise profile is inaccurate, you need to do a lot of adjustments in the filter settings to compensate for those inaccuracies. It is simply easier to make the profile accurate in the first place. Again, the filter settings are relative to profile and default filter settings are good as long as profile is accurate.

Vlad