Autolevel effect after neatvideo effect?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
VideoRookie

Autolevel effect after neatvideo effect?

Post by VideoRookie »

Hi,

Just bought neatvideo for premiere CS5. Applied it to some grainy low light marriage video and the results looks great! Far more better than me fidling around with the filters in virtualdub. Neatvideo is very easy.

Afterwards i applied the AutoLevel effect. However at some point i see a frame changing color way out of line. I tried the normal Level filter and did not see this color change in a frame.
Should i not apply the AutoLevel after Neatvideo effect?

I am still reading the user guide, but can i apply the same neatvideo noise profile to an entire sequence from the same video footage, or should i use a profile for every different scene change?
Should i always apply neatvideo as the 1st effect on my footage?

Does neatvideo take advantage of my gpu power? Its rather slow in rendering on my Intel Q9450 cpu and making premiere not responding sometimes.

Thanks for your help/advice.
NVTeam

Re: Autolevel effect after neatvideo effect?

Post by NVTeam »

VideoRookie wrote:Afterwards i applied the AutoLevel effect. However at some point i see a frame changing color way out of line. I tried the normal Level filter and did not see this color change in a frame.
Should i not apply the AutoLevel after Neatvideo effect?
If AutoLevel doesn't always work well then perhaps it is better to not use it. Does AutoLevel work correctly in that spot if you disable Neat Video?
VideoRookie wrote:I am still reading the user guide, but can i apply the same neatvideo noise profile to an entire sequence from the same video footage, or should i use a profile for every different scene change?
You can do both, the latter is recommended when each clip/scene has different noise properties (noise looks different).
VideoRookie wrote:Should i always apply neatvideo as the 1st effect on my footage?
This is not absolutely necessary but recommended. It is easier to treat unretouched noise.
VideoRookie wrote:Does neatvideo take advantage of my gpu power? Its rather slow in rendering on my Intel Q9450 cpu and making premiere not responding sometimes.
It does not use gpu in this version. We are working on speeding up the filter so there may be some improvement in the future versions.

Vlad
VideoRookie

Post by VideoRookie »

Thanks for the answers.
Sorry for replying so late. Had been busy.
I think its the autolevel effect getting messed up by the scene. The scene i tried is in a dark lit room (wedding scene). Sometimes a photo camera flashes. At time of the flashes autolevel gets confused.
I have used 1 profile from one scene for all scenes in this same location video, since not all areas in some scenes could be used well for profiling.
I am trying some color correction with some other effects now. However, when i make the scene lighter i get grain back again. I have applied Neatvideo after the standard 3 videoeffects Motion, Opacity, Time Remapping. After Neatvideo i apply color correction. Can i reapply another Neatvideo to get rid of the grain after color correction?
Or is that not recommended?
Thanks for advice. Great product by the way. I am cleaning up my old Hi8 footage with it and it looks far more sharper/cleaner :p
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

VideoRookie wrote:when i make the scene lighter i get grain back again.
You change the noise, so NV noise profile must be re-built, otherwise it does not correspond to the modified noise.
VideoRookie wrote:I have applied Neatvideo after the standard 3 videoeffects Motion, Opacity, Time Remapping. After Neatvideo i apply color correction. Can i reapply another Neatvideo to get rid of the grain after color correction?Or is that not recommended?
Neat Video can be used in any part of your dataflow, but usually it is better to use it as early as possible to avoid aggravation of noise by other post-processing operations. In any case, I recommend to try different placing and see which combination works best. Just don't forget to re-build the noise profile when you change the place of NV in the dataflow.

Hope this helps,
Vlad