Noise into color banding: will 32bit f.p. help in Vegas Pro?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
MoldCAD

Noise into color banding: will 32bit f.p. help in Vegas Pro?

Post by MoldCAD »

First time poster here, and a new NV user in Vegas 9 Pro !

First impressions are OK, even though it's sooooo slow :( With my EX1 or nanoFlash mxf files (full HD in 4:2:2, at 35 Mbps and up), it renders at some 2 fps on my (little old) QX6700...

A couple of questions:

1. In my result clips I can see occasional color banding which are not present in the original, 100 Mbps 4:2:2, L-GoP files. I'm told the noise acted as sort of dithering thus effectively preventing the color banding, so removing the noise caused banding to show. I tried and converted a particularly noisy clip to 10-bit Sony YUV intermediate, and tried NeatVideo on that...

Well - it looks to me NV cannot take advantage of the 10 bit color: in its configuration preview window, the frame is still reported as 1920x1080, 8-bit RGB.

So, does it make sense to use a 10bit intermediate?

2. Will it make a difference if I set my Vegas project to 32 bit floating point?

Thanks,

Piotr
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It may have sense to use 10bit intermediate, but I recommend to directly test that both ways, with and without 10bit intermediate.

Using 32-bit floating point in Vegas will most likely make processing much slower but will not make Neat Video results different.
I recommend to check the output compression codec. In my experience, output compression is the most frequent source of banding. Try to output uncompressed frames to check that.

Vlad
MoldCAD

Post by MoldCAD »

Thanks Vlad; I'm currently testing all the solutions you mentioned.

However, you didn't answer my question:

- in the NV "Configure" window, the clip is always reported as "Frame: 1920x1080, 8-bit RGB" - no matter if I am using an 8bit clip (4:2:0 EX or 4:2:2 nanoFlash), or a 10bit, 4:2:2 intermediate (like the Sony 10bit YUV avi).

Why is that?

Thanks,

Piotr
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Neat Video receives a 8-bit frame from Vegas. Vegas currently sends only 8-bit data to video filter plug-ins. When the original data is 10-bit, Vegas converts it to 8-bit representation on the fly and that is what Neat Video gets and displays.

Vlad