Workflow and installation questions

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
jthi

Workflow and installation questions

Post by jthi »

I have installed the demo version and I am playing with it. It seems pretty impressive but I know I must tweak it to get the full usage from it. However, I have some general questions which will help me understand the work flow and functionality. This will also help me decide if it is useful to purchase a full version.

In Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 for Mac:

1) My footage has a large degree of very high/fine but active grain. Another user of Neat Video recommended (on another board, dvxuser) that I try 3 passes on a low manual setting for best results, in his/her experience.

Yet when I try to re-clean an already cleaned/rendered clip, by copying/pasting a small excerpt after the rendered timeline, the uncleaned version (rather than the cleaned clip) comes up in the effect control window where I select the parameters for cleaning. So I am a little confused as to how I can keep passing/cleaning the same clip, since the noisy un-cleaned clip (without the Neat Video Demo stamp) is being sourced even after I copy/paste the clean Neat Video Demo stamped version. It would seem as if you'd get that cleaner version to continue to re-clean, rather than the original.

Can this be explained? Why isn't the cleaned/rendered version still available, if this is what I am copying and pasting?

2) Extending the prior question .... somewhere on this board I read:

"If you are going to do a lot of editing then perhaps it is easier to clean first and edit clean versions of the clips simply because this will be faster. Cleaning itself is not fast, so once it is done you don't need to re-do it again and again when trying different versions in your editing process."

Yet when I take a cleaned clip and post it to another part of the time sequence, the red bar comes up within the timeline requiring me to re-render, and the cleaning is lost. Why is this happening? Why would it be faster to clean the footage first if I must re-render and re-clean it again anytime I moved it in the timeline and if the cleaning is lost as soon as it shifts within the timeline?

3) What is your advice for exporting cleaned footage for later use in another project? The folks I am working for want to clean the footage all at once in order to have it pre-cleaned for future edits. I am really not sure how to do this, so any advice is appreciated.

4) If I purchase it, can I install it upon more than one computer in my workstation, or only one?

Many thanks for your help!
NVTeam

Re: Workflow and installation questions

Post by NVTeam »

jthi wrote:1) My footage has a large degree of very high/fine but active grain. Another user of Neat Video recommended (on another board, dvxuser) that I try 3 passes on a low manual setting for best results, in his/her experience.

Yet when I try to re-clean an already cleaned/rendered clip, by copying/pasting a small excerpt after the rendered timeline, the uncleaned version (rather than the cleaned clip) comes up in the effect control window where I select the parameters for cleaning. So I am a little confused as to how I can keep passing/cleaning the same clip, since the noisy un-cleaned clip (without the Neat Video Demo stamp) is being sourced even after I copy/paste the clean Neat Video Demo stamped version. It would seem as if you'd get that cleaner version to continue to re-clean, rather than the original.

Can this be explained? Why isn't the cleaned/rendered version still available, if this is what I am copying and pasting?
I am not sure because the workflow is not entirely clear. Do you also copy the Neat Video instance from cleaned clip or you create a completely new instance? You may want to double-check the workflow with the person who advised it. I guess they rendered once into a new file and then imported it back for another round.
jthi wrote:2) Extending the prior question .... somewhere on this board I read:

"If you are going to do a lot of editing then perhaps it is easier to clean first and edit clean versions of the clips simply because this will be faster. Cleaning itself is not fast, so once it is done you don't need to re-do it again and again when trying different versions in your editing process."

Yet when I take a cleaned clip and post it to another part of the time sequence, the red bar comes up within the timeline requiring me to re-render, and the cleaning is lost. Why is this happening?
This is a question to Premiere itself. It is Premiere who controls what it considers rendered and what it considers requiring re-render. I guess it is really necessary to render to a new file and then reimport it into an actual editing process if you want to pre-clean such a clip before using it in your project.
jthi wrote:3) What is your advice for exporting cleaned footage for later use in another project? The folks I am working for want to clean the footage all at once in order to have it pre-cleaned for future edits. I am really not sure how to do this, so any advice is appreciated.
You can use regular Export tool in Premiere and a video codec (for example, high-quality mpeg, or h.264) that allows to preserve good quality to allow further re-import and editing.
jthi wrote:4) If I purchase it, can I install it upon more than one computer in my workstation, or only one?
With a single-user license, you can install on two but you may only run it on one of them at a time. To run on both simultaneously you need a two-user license.

Kind regards,
Vlad