Virtualdub: Neatvideo 2.2 becomes slow on my PC

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

The Time Spent Rending was calculated by Virtualdub AFTER the Process and Encoding.
Did you take that figure (4 Hours 33 Minutes) from VirtualDub's "total time (estimated)" field?
Yes Vlad.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Did you start this test that gave you "4 Hours 33 Minutes" AFTER my question earlier today (this morning) or before that posting? Are you sure that value shown by VirtualDub is correct?

Thank you,
Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

BTW, when did this issue started to occur? I believe it all worked properly in the past, is that correct?
Correct. At start as I wrote, the CPU was at 70°C during first 2 minutes with 9 FPS and after that, during ALL the process and encoding, always between 50°C to 52°C Maxi with 1.84 to 4 FPS Maxi. I checked everything. There is nothing wrong with all windows services or mouse drivers etc... CPU -> 00
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

Did you start this test that gave you "4 Hours 33 Minutes" AFTER my question earlier today (this morning) or before that posting?
I started this test the next day, after our last conversation (see my last message: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:12 pm)
Are you sure that value shown by VirtualDub is correct?
I just read the infos during and AFTER the process with Virtualdub, Vlad. That's all... I mean, I gave you ALL infos and with the screenshots, as I can do to explain my prob. So now, if Virtualdub wrote some wrong infos in real time... Not my fault... I'm not a programmer like you, Vlad. :?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I am just asking whether you are sure the time shown by VirtuabDub is correct. The way to check that would be to use a stopwatch.

So, Neat Video and VirtualDub worked perfectly for you in the past. Then, something changed and now it *looks* like it is not working the same way. *Looks* means it may be just an impression, not real (confirmed using a stopwatch) slowdown.

Anyway, please remember what changed between then (when it worked well) and now (when it looks like it is slow):
- did you change Neat Video version between these two time points?
- did you change VirtualDub?
- did you change Windows system settings (like powersaving options)?
- did you change the hardware?

Please make a test render once again and use the stopwatch to measure the actually spent time (do not just rely on data shown by VirtualDub).

Also, please try to run the same render on another machine to see if you see the same unusual behaviour there.

Thank you,
Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

The way to check that would be to use a stopwatch
Ok... I will try to find a freeware for that, because I don't have time to stay on my computer screen during 4 hours. If you see what I mean :lol:
So, Neat Video and VirtualDub worked perfectly for you in the past. Then, something changed and now it *looks* like it is not working the same way.
I'm really not pretty sure about that. But I believe I had the same "symptom" in the past, but not so "strong" as now, in fact... So I can't tell you.
*Looks* means it may be just an impression, not real (confirmed using a stopwatch) slowdown.
Just an impression?!... This is not a impression, Vlad. This is real.
- did you change Neat Video version between these two time points?
Absolutly not, Vlad. I just re-installed windows XP and your plugin (Vers 2.2), 6 or 8 months ago when I got my new PC.
- did you change VirtualDub?
Of course. If another stable version exist, I install and use it (into the same directory).
- did you change Windows system settings (like powersaving options)?
If you speak about the "Cool'n'quiet" from AMD64 option, I tried to turn it OFF and ON again, during 2 test yesterday... Nothing change. Same problem. But if you have some idea...
- did you change the hardware?
No, Vlad. Absolutely nothing since 8 months or 1 year.
Please make a test render once again and use the stopwatch to measure the actually spent time (do not just rely on data shown by VirtualDub).
Well, ok Vlad. But with the same video... Ok?
Also, please try to run the same render on another machine to see if you see the same unusual behaviour there.
I'm sorry, Vlad. But I can't do that. Ok, Vlad |deep breath|... I'm gonna do another test with the same video, with a stopwatch.
Here we go again for 4 hours! (Damn it!). Thank you once again, and I contact you here tomorow... Have a nice day Vlad!
:cry:
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You can use a shorter clip. I guess there is no need to use one that renders 4 hours. For example, try to render the clip from our testkit.

I believe you have to identify the changes in your hardware settings/Windows/software setup that triggered the change in render speed. Try to revert some of the changes, like return to several older versions of VirtualDub.

4 hours for that clip (352x256, 30fps, 900 seconds) is too much for that hardware. There must be something that slows things down. Or something that reports incorrect render times.

Do you have a screensaver? Or Windows Update running in background?

Vlad
NeatOliver

Hello Vlad!

Post by NeatOliver »

Hello, Vlad! - (Sorry for the delay)

- I tried to check (once again) my windows XP pack 2 services, and I'm serious, there is absolutely nothing wrong or really important to "disturb" the CPU. Trust me, because I know what every single services do.
So no, I don't have the Windows Update running in background and no screensaver also :wink:
- So I tried to check my video card (Geforce 8800 GT) and un-install the drivers. I used also a program called "Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 by DriverHeaven" to clean really the hidden files, etc. And then install the latest drivers. And set them to "High Performances".
- I used a program called "CCleaner" to clean the register also.
- I used different version of Virtualdub (1.5 to 1.9) and clean all, preferences, keys, DLL files via auxsetup.exe at EVERY installations.
- I have un-installed your plug-in and then, delete manually every folders with regedit to be sure there is nothing like parameters etc. And then, re-installed it again.
- I do a update with my Anti-virus (Avira antivir latest version) with FULL options enable and do a general scan with Heuristic HIGH + AHeAD ( (system, every files, hidden files, keylogers, trojans, virus... Everything!)
- I do also a BIOS update (Motherboard).
- I used a DirectX 9.0c diag (with directx.cpl), every IRQ, E/S and memory. All Status: "OK"
- I used also the famous "HiJackThis" program by Trend Micro.

So as you can see, I do and check everything on my PC. All after that, guess what, Vlad? Nothing change! I have the same problem. After 2 minutes and a couple of secondes, BOOM! FPS goes down again! (With EVERY video codecs and version (clean install) of Virtuadub. I do a screenshot from with your video test called "SampleClip.mpg" with a timewatch, a freeware program called "Vista Clock 1.0 by respectsoft.com". But for a short video like this one, I don't know if it can help :?

Seriously Vlad, you know what?... I turn really crazy! :shock:

NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Lets check what really is going with the CPU:

1. Please download and install RMClock
2. Open RMClock in the Monitoring tab and leave it open.
3. Run a render in VD with NV for a clip that takes more that 3 minutes to render.
4. At 2:30 since the start of the render, make a screenshot including the VD render dialog and RMClock's Monitoring tab.
5. Post the screenshot here.

Thank you,
Vlad
NeatOliver

Here the results...

Post by NeatOliver »

Video Filters used: NeatVideo ONLY - (basic settings) - Radius 2 / Threshold 0
Video Size: 352x288 / 6 minutes / 29.970 FPS / 10790 Frames

Video Filters used: NeatVideo ONLY - (basic settings) - Radius 3 / Threshold 0

Video Filters used: NeatVideo ONLY - (basic settings) - Radius 5 / Threshold 0

Video Filters used: NeatVideo ONLY - (basic settings) - Radius 2 / Threshold 0
Strange things happen and interesting here. After aborting the process and encoding... :shock:
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

So, CPU throttling seems to kick in and slow things down.

I think it makes sense to run a couple of cpuburn's now and check how the CPU reacts to heavy load in general.

Please also monitor the CPU temperature during these tests using Core Temp that you mentioned earlier. It shown higher temperatures (up to 71C) that those shown by RMClock right above. There may be some inconsistency in these reportings by these tools, so it is important to double-check the actual temperatures. It is quite likely that throttling kicks in because of high temperatures.

Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

Video Filters used: NeatVideo ONLY - (basic settings) - Radius 3 / Threshold 0

Tested with CPUburn only:
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please run 2 instances of cpuburn (one for each core) and let it go for 2-5 minutes. Please keep the RMClock graphs open to monitor the CPU parameters. And then make a screenshot.
NeatOliver

After 3 minutes 30 secondes...

Post by NeatOliver »

If I set to "normal" both programs, I have a blue screen.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

As you surely understand now, the problem is not related to Neat Video. Neat Video is a just a source of high CPU load. Any other source will do the same, and cpuburn is an example.

It looks like my very first reply in this topic was correct. The problem is caused by processor overheating (bad contact between CPU and its heat sink?), which may lead either to hardware-level failure (producing a blue screen) or to CPU throttling (leading to significant degradation of CPU performance).

Hope this helps,
Vlad