Neat Video community Forum Index
www.neatvideo.com
Neat Video community
support - help - questions and answers - sharing experience and opinions - feedback - suggestions - backup contact

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excessive render times in new FCP 7.0?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Neat Video community Forum Index -> Bugs, issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hidefguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Excessive render times in new FCP 7.0? Reply with quote

Have any of the NV team had a chance to test the FCP plugin in version 7 of FCP? I just did an upgrade from version 5.00 -> 7.00 iof FCP (i.e. Final Cut Studio 3.0) mostly to be able to use NV. But for a 25 second HDV segment the apparent render time is 30 minutes. On a quad core, 3Ghz Mac Pro with 8GB RAM, this seems somewhat excessive. Is the GPU being used to assist render times?

Also, I've seen posts in compositing groups which suggest that leaving the multiple processor option checked in NV is guaranteed to cause an FCP crash on anything but small renders. As a programmer myself, shouldn't the plugin attempt to poll the application status vis-a-vis resources to prevent this happening (not withstanding the appearance of a 64-bit version of FCP, which likely won't happen within a year)?

Thanks
NVTeam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NV is generanlly not fast so long render times are to be expected in any case. I could compare specific figures with known-good values if you let me know the frame size, fps and also version of Neat Video (version number and edition - Demo, Home or Pro).

GPU is currently not used to assist. We will probably add that in the future versions.

The today's update of the FCP plug-in introduces some optimizations in memory managements and frame handling intended to avoid memory issues typical for HD rendering in a 32-bit address space. I expect the plug-in to become more stable even with multiprocessor support enabled.

Vlad

Last edited by NVTeam on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
hidefguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll install the new version posted and see if that helps.
hidefguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time was the updated plugin posted? I downloaded the plugin last night at 11:00pm PST. (Plugin post date says August 14th?)
NVTeam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was posted an hour or so ago. Please re-download and install it over the one you installed yesterday.

Thank you,
Vlad
hidefguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Vlad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Neat Video community Forum Index -> Bugs, issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: