Mac to Virtual Dub + Neat on a PC, then back to Mac?

general questions about Neat Video
Leonard

Mac to Virtual Dub + Neat on a PC, then back to Mac?

Post by Leonard »

I do all my work on a Mac and do video editing in Final Cut Pro.

I’ve been wanting to use “Neat Video” to clean up noise on my older videos and of course it doesn’t work with a Mac yet.

You guys have suggested using “neat” with “Virtual Dub”on a PC as a way to clean up the Final Cut Pro files and that it is very easy to use this way. I assume this means I would portal video files from my Mac to a PC into “virtual dub” running “Neat video”, then get it back to my Mac.

How would I do this? I know nothing about “virtual dub.” In fact I know next to nothing about working on a PC. Can I run “Virtual Dub” on a Intel MacBook Pro?

The files I have are in Quicktime and use the DV codec in Final Cut Pro. These are SD files. Of course I don’t want to lose quality in the process.

Lenny
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It can be not easy to set up a Windows emulation environment, then VirtualDub in it, then Neat Video in it. Still, it is possible since you use an Intel Mac. Such Mac can run Windows, VirtualDub and Neat Video. You may want to start by trying to get VirtualDub (virtualdub.org) running. Google for some Windows emulation environment for OSX (for example, Fusion from VMWare, or something similar). Once VirtualDub is running you can start experimenting with video formats, perhaps some conversion will be required as quicktime is not universally-supported format.

On the other hand, you can choose to wait because we are working on a native Mac version of NV, and I think we will be able to offer it later this year. Then you will not need all those extras to run NV in a Window emulation layer.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Do you have any idea what codec to convert the quicktime files to for virtual dub?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I cannot recommend any specific codec. Any Video-for-Window codec supported by your copy of Windows emulation environment should do. You may to consult the VirtualDub forums for more details on possible solutions regarding VirtualDub.

Vlad
Lyris

Post by Lyris »

For what it's worth, I've had success using the HuffYUV codec.

Google it and you can find the version for Windows.
And, on the Mac side, download a program called PERIAN which will add support for HuffYUV into Mac OS X.

Now you should be able to drag HuffYUV .AVI files into the Final Cut timeline :)