First timers problems

general questions about Neat Video
Phototaker

First timers problems

Post by Phototaker »

I have just downloaded the Community version of the program for use with Vegas Video which has installed itself OK. I have tried about 6 times to get the program to work OK but only once have I succeeded & even then I could not the effect processed onto the clip.

I put a clip on The Vegas time line, clicked on the FX icon & selected Neatvideo. I then placed the cursor anywhere on the clip & could see the noise on my clip. Then I click profile & have either of 2 things happen. Occasionally it says that the size I have selected (I didn't select any size) is to small & asks if I wish to continue building a profile.)

Most time all I get is the message that I haven't selected a frame for analysis, even though I can see a frame displayed in the window. When this happens I can't get any further because trying to put my cursor on a different frame doesn't help.

Once I got the program to profile a clip & I actually got to see just what effect it wished to apply to the clip, I could even move this preview clip around But I still wasn't able to apply the profile to the entire clip. I tried the DRP but the noise reduction wasn't applied to the clip even though I had seen the proposed effect in the preview.

I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong & would appreciate any help that anyone might suggest.
NVTeam

Re: First timers problems

Post by NVTeam »

First of all, please set the Preview Quality selector to Best (Full). Also, please set the Dynamic RAM Preview max (MB) to 0 (it doens't work properly when it is not zero).
Phototaker wrote:I put a clip on The Vegas time line, clicked on the FX icon & selected Neatvideo. I then placed the cursor anywhere on the clip & could see the noise on my clip.
Please try the following order: first select a frame in the clip (move the frame selector in the timeline to find a frame with flat areas without details), then add Neat Video to the Event FX of this clip. Then open Neat Video window to configure noise profile and filter settings. If Neat Video complains about non-selected frame, move to another frame in the timeline, but be sure to stay within the same clip where you added Neat Video.
Phototaker wrote:Then I click profile & have either of 2 things happen. Occasionally it says that the size I have selected (I didn't select any size) is to small & asks if I wish to continue building a profile.)
If Neat Video warns you that the automatically found (by Auto Profile) area is small then you can choose to ignore this warning and continue (usually it is fine) or you can manually select a larger area and again click Auto Profile to build a profile from the larger area.
Phototaker wrote:But I still wasn't able to apply the profile to the entire clip. I tried the DRP but the noise reduction wasn't applied to the clip even though I had seen the proposed effect in the preview.
DRP may be not working correctly, please try SPV.

As I am replying to your post now, I am doing the things that I suggest in Vegas Pro 8 (I am not sure which version you use). After building a profile, adjusting the filter settings, applying, checking the preview in Vegas preview window, I have applied SPV and Vegas rendered the whole clip to a temporary file (Vegas Pro Prerendered Video File 0000.avi in one of the subfolders in my "Documents and Settings" folder). I can see the effect of noise reduction both in Vegas Preview (the clip plays here), and in that file.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

I have been out of town & have been unable to try out your suggestions until now. I have tried all of the suggestions in your posting but I when I click the configure button I get the message 'Source frame is not selected. Please enable Neat video effect & select a frame on the time line.' Any other suggestions?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please make sure previews are enabled in Vegas (check the button immediately to the left of "Best (Full)", make it unpressed).

If this doesn't change anything, please make a screenshot of the whole Vegas window and send to me by e-mail (see the e-mail button in the bottom of this message). Please make sure to include the clip in the timeline, filter settings, and everything that may be relevant. I will check the shot and try to determine what is wrong.

Also, please send me the a sample test project that allows to reproduce the unusual results that you get. I will open it in my Vegas and try to get the same to see what is going wrong.

Thank you,
Vlad