Frame Size

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Bob,

Thank you very much for your kind words about NI, I appreciate your opinion.

Regarding the capabilities of Premiere Elements, I tend to agree with you, because recently I was also not able to adjust the project settings to make it provide progressive data to NV (even with a progressive clip). I will try to find out whether this is possible in principle in Premiere Elements and post an update here.

Kind regards,
Vlad
Pericles

Frame size work around?

Post by Pericles »

Hello Everyone,

I am a new user. My specs are below.

The 720X240 issue is troubling. I, like RAYWEB, has had an occasional 720x480 frame come up in an interlaced project. But reopening the settings box takes it back down to x240. The shot, which seems to have enought of a flat area to give me a good quality analysis gives me only a 30% rating.

Now, here is my possible work around... ( Pardon me if it's a bit rhetorical)

If I read the manual correctly (An excellent manual!) Neat video will automatically analyze a frame. If there is not enough area, it will alert you and ask if you still want to procced. As I explained, the x240 frame gave me a low 30%. Manually adjusting gave me a range of 28 to 33%.

Now I could go on and on about Adobe and it's project setting issues, but this post is already too long. So as an experiment, I opened a 24p project in 2.0, slapped the SAME NTSC DV interlaced shot on the line and I got my x480 frame! I did an auto analysis of the EXACT SAME frame and it found a large enough area and gave me a 73% quality rating. I saved it as a preset and it seems to work when I opened it in my interlaced DV project. (I think it works well, I've only had the software since last night)

Does this seem to be a good workaround? Could this preset be used on all shots from the same camera that day?

This software is ingenious and I hope you can make this work with Adobe's interlaced project settings. Even if you could add a de-interlacing component to your plug-in to convert 30i to 30p just for the analysis would help. BUT... if you can add that as a timeline rendering component I think I know alot of peeps out there who would pay good money for that. I would certainly pay for that upgrade!

Thanx,
Peri

Intel Dual 3.0 Ghz
XP Pro
2GB RAM
Nvidia 7800 PCIe 256mb display Card
System Dive 320gb
Two 200 GB SATA for video
Premiere 1.5.1 & 2.0
NEAT Video PRO for Premiere
Cineform Aspect HD
Magic Bullet Editors
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Hello Peri,

There are two important points that I want to emphasize:

1) It is important to analyze and filter the frames of the same size. If you build a noise profile using a 720x480 frame but filter 720x240 frames during rendering then the noise described by the profile is different from noise in rendered 720x240 frames and noise filtration may be not accurate. Premiere will render 720x240 frames (unless you can make it render 720x480 frames, which proves to be difficult in some cases). Therefore, since NV also have to render (filter) 720x240 frames, it is better (from the standpoint of accuracy of noise analysis and filtration) to build a noise profile from a 720x240 frame for best results.

2) The most important in building a noise profile is to select a flat featureless area. It is better to select large area than small one. Better middle-bright than near-white or near-black. It is better if the frame used for analysis contains several such areas of different brightness. If all these conditions are met then the resulting noise profile will show high quality. However, you can use a low quality profile too. My main advice is to select an area that is middle-bright, flat and contains no visible details; this is more important than the resulting value of the quality indicator.

Thank you for the idea about de-interlacing and for the trick with 24p project (which of course can be used, though the resulting noise profile and filtration may be less than perfect with the given video data).

Kind regards,
Vlad