First suggestion : Handle more format with VDub pluggin.

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
jpsdr

First suggestion : Handle more format with VDub pluggin.

Post by jpsdr »

Hello.

First, i'm sorry for my not very good english, i hope i'll be clear enough.

I've already by email make the suggestion, but i will try to add more arguments.

This suggestion concern only the virtualdub pluggin, as i don't know the specifications
of other programs pluggins.

Actually, the filter only accept RGB32 in input. It was a virtualdub restriction until
recently, with the versions 1.8.x & +, where you have access directly access to YUY2,
YV12 and lot of other formats.

So, i think that upgrade the VDub pluggin to accept in input/ouput at least
YUY2, UYVY, YV12 and YV16 (and eventualy Y8 ) would consist on a very great step ahead.

Why ?

First, i think a lot of people are working with 4:2:2 or even 4:2:0 input source.
In this case, even if you can open them directly in their native format, the process
in VDUb is the following (YV12 exemple) :

YV12 (open) -> VDub Convert + upscale to RGB32 -> NV convert RGB32 tu YCbCr to process
-> NV concert YCbCr to RG32 to ouput -> VDub convert to YV12 (or any other non RGB format
for desired output).

I would be better if it could be :
YV12 (open) -> NV process YV12 and output process directly in YV12

Better why ? Three points !!

1 : Not eventualy quality loss with all the convertion wich could be avoid.
I'm agree that the eventualy quality loss in the noisy input could be regardless
to the noise effect, but, for the clean output, it could be... less regardless.
And more, even if it's not the most important part, avoiding all these convert
process will speed-up the things a very little. It's always that.

2 : Better noise profile precision. In fact, when your input are 4:2:0 or even 4:2:0,
you have to upscale to 4:4:4, and this, it's bad, because it change the noise profile.
If i take your exacts word from the last Q/A of your faq, you said the following :
- "On the other hand, certain effects, like sharpening or resampling,
applied to a noisy video sequence may considerably change its noise properties.
In this sense, it is generally better to use Neat Video filtration before applying such effects."
And, resampling it's exactly what it's done when converting to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 !!

3 : A significant speed improvement.
In fact, if a 4:4:4 frame has a size of 3, a 4:2:2 frame will have a size of 2, and
a 4:2:0 will have a size of 1.5. If process time is proportionnal to the frame size,
those who worked with 4:2:0 will have their process time divided by 2 !! For this, i assume
that a 4:2:0 frame will be faster to process than a 4:4:4.
With this, you can have in the first time, for those who doesn't work with 4:4:4 picture,
a very easy speed improvement, without investigating more complex method like GPU or others.

So, readers of the forum (i don't know how many there is), if you think this
is something worthly and interesting, back-me up.
Unless it's something already scheduled on NV, the more people ask, the more
chances there is to happend.