Buy Windows plug now (get Mac version later?)

general questions about Neat Video
DCP

Buy Windows plug now (get Mac version later?)

Post by DCP »

Hi Vlad,

Question. I've been looking at workarounds to use NV now (it seems that the Adobe Premiere Pro allows the use direct use of P2 cards and can save files back into the P2 format, which would work great for my Mac workflow.)

But I would only be using the Windows Premiere version until the Mac version is ready. Would I need to purchase a new license once the Mac version is out? I just want to make sure I won't have to buy two licenses (otherwise I might just hold out and hope the Mac version is coming soon).

Thanks for responding to all my questions.

Todd
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

A new license will be needed anyway but it will be possible to purchase it with a discount (if you will want to use both Windows and Mac versions) or to switch from Windows to Mac version for a small fee.

Did you try the NV Demo plug-in /Win in Premiere? Have you been able to achieve the results you are looking for?

Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

No, I haven't had a chance to try out with Premiere yet (I'm trying the 30 day trial, but I have to set up Windows on my MacPro first). I really don't want to have to buy Premiere Pro, but if it works, I guess it'll be worth it.

I might hold off a bit to buy anything to see if the Mac version is released (I really don't plan on using the Windows version at all if the Mac version is out, but if time runs short on me I may not have a choice).

Thanks again Vlad for responding.

If I do run some tests with the demo software I will post my results.

Todd
DCP

Post by DCP »

Well I tried the demo of Premiere (unfortunately the version that Adobe has is 3.0 and I need 3.1 since it has the P2 options, and for some reason the Tryout version wouldn't let me update the program) so I couldn't try NV. I'm hesitant to purchase Premiere ($799) to try out NV since it's possible that NV will be out for Mac in the near future.

The only reason Premiere seemed to be my option is that my P2 files wouldn't have to be compressed into a different codec since Premiere would be able to open the P2 files and save into the P2 format (so my Mac would be able to read those files and I don't lose information during the process).

I may contact Adobe since it's the P2 function I really need and as I said, I really don't want to throw down that kind of money (which I don't really have).

Guess I'll have to hold out for awhile.

Todd
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Have you considered After Effects? Perhaps it will be a better choice. Also, our first version for Mac will most likely be for After Effects.

Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

I haven't really worked with After Effects which is why I was steering clear, but maybe I'll try the Windows AE version to see if it will work (I know version 8.0.1 allows direct import of P2 files).

If I like how AE works, it may be worth buying (then I'd have to buy two versions and money is an issue). I'll figure something out. I'll have to give AE a try.

Thanks again Vlad for helping me out.

Todd