Need help to get started

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Tessan

Need help to get started

Post by Tessan »

Hello,

Tried the demo (Premiere) and it was working good. After that I bought pro version.

In the user guide it says to create a project to 640 horizontal and 480 vertical. I thought this maybe was just for the demo or do I do this when I use Pro as well? (I use PAL 720h 576v when I edit.) And if I have to use 640 horizontal and 480 vertical what do I do to get the clip in to the settings I usually have?

What I have done now is that I create PAL 720h 576v and applied the plug in to the clip but when I click on auto profile a box says Neat video can not automatically fina a large uniform area. You can continue building profile using the selected area, but resulting profile quality may be low. Continue buling profile?

If I click yes it says. Selected ares is too small. Recommended size is 128x128 (or more) pixels. Continue building profile?

What do I have to do?

It´s filmed 16:9 but done to 4:3.

And. I tried to save the profile but it didn´t work. I saved it as dnp. Don´t know what that is.

Could someone help me? Thank you.

/Tessan
NVTeam

Re: Need help to get started

Post by NVTeam »

Tessan wrote:In the user guide it says to create a project to 640 horizontal and 480 vertical. I thought this maybe was just for the demo or do I do this when I use Pro as well?
Of course not. When you use the Pro plug-in you can simply add NV effect to your project (whatever the frame size is in this project) and use it as any other filter in Premiere.
Tessan wrote:What I have done now is that I create PAL 720h 576v and applied the plug in to the clip but when I click on auto profile a box says Neat video can not automatically fina a large uniform area. You can continue building profile using the selected area, but resulting profile quality may be low. Continue buling profile?

If I click yes it says. Selected ares is too small. Recommended size is 128x128 (or more) pixels. Continue building profile?

What do I have to do?
Please ignore that warning (that is a warning, not error, it just says that if you could find a larger area then the resulting profile could be better) and continue building profile.
Tessan wrote:And. I tried to save the profile but it didn´t work. I saved it as dnp. Don´t know what that is.
Device Noise Profile (or DNP). You saved it to an external file from NV plug-in. This is not really necessary to save it in a file when you work in Premiere because the noise profile that you build is automatically saved into Premiere project.

I believe you have set it all up correctly and it should work now. Just let it build a profile (preferably using a larger flat featureless area) and then continue to adjust the filter and apply - all the things described in the user guide (not quick start guide, but complete user guide).

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Tessan

Post by Tessan »

Thanks for you reply. I try again. :) But so far it doesn´t look good. Another thing. In the neat video the pic looks bright but when I close it, after "apply", it gets dark. Why is that?

/Tessan
Tessan

Post by Tessan »

NVTeam wrote:
Tessan wrote:In the user guide it says to create a project to 640 horizontal and 480 vertical. I thought this maybe was just for the demo or do I do this when I use Pro as well?
Of course not. When you use the Pro plug-in you can simply add NV effect to your project (whatever the frame size is in this project) and use it as any other filter in Premiere.
So I don´t have to do this?
1. Create a new project in Premiere
2. In New Project | Custom Settings | General | Editing Mode field select Desktop (or Video for Windows).
3. Set the Frame Size fields to 640 horizontal and 480 vertical, and set the Pixel Aspect Ratio field to
Square Pixels (1.0).
4. Set Fields to No Fields (Progressive Scan).
5. In Custom Settings | Video Rendering | Video Rendering box select the compression settings.
Bit tired here. ;-)

/Tessan
Tessan

Post by Tessan »

Tessan wrote:What I have done now is that I create PAL 720h 576v and applied the plug in to the clip but when I click on auto profile a box says Neat video can not automatically fina a large uniform area. You can continue building profile using the selected area, but resulting profile quality may be low. Continue buling profile?

What do I have to do?
Please ignore that warning (that is a warning, not error, it just says that if you could find a larger area then the resulting profile could be better) and continue building profile.
This didn´t happen when I used Demo only with Pro. That´s why I found it a bit strange.

I´m sorry about all the posts.

/Tessan
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Tessan wrote:Thanks for you reply. I try again. :) But so far it doesn´t look good. Another thing. In the neat video the pic looks bright but when I close it, after "apply", it gets dark. Why is that?
Perhaps you adjusted NV internal viewer and didn't reset those adjustments aftewards. Please click Image and reset the viewer adjustments.

Vlad
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

This didn´t happen when I used Demo only with Pro. That´s why I found it a bit strange.
In Demo, you used the quick start guide and didn't build your own profile. Now, in actual use of the plug-in, you have to build profiles for your clips and one of the aspects of building profiles is dealing with situations when a frame used for profiling contains only small featureless areas. NV is simply advising you that you can get better profiling results if a larger area was used (perhaps you can use another frame that contains such a larger area), and it is your choice to follow that advise or to use the smaller area. In many cases, the difference in filtered results will not be very big, but still, you may want to use a larger area. In any case, it takes some experimentation to get used to profiling process and selecting suitable areas for profiling.

Vlad