Can Neat utilize Quad core CPU's

general questions about Neat Video
ritsmer

Can Neat utilize Quad core CPU's

Post by ritsmer »

Now I have a slightly overclocked Core Duro - but beeing a video nerd :D I soon want to build a new machine - which could be a 3 GHz Core 2 Duo or the coming 45 nm quad - expected in a few minths...

For this choice I would like to know if Neat can utilize 4 cpu's or if it would be better to use the money for a higher colock rate 2 cpu chip - which Neat uses very well ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, Neat Video can use all 4 (or even 8 ) cores.

It is not easy to tell whether the speedup (because of using 4 cores instead of 2) will be proportional to the higher price of the 4-core processor because other components such as memory and system bus may become a bottleneck then. My estimation that a 4-core CPU will be about 3 times faster than a 1-core CPU.

Vlad
chipgallo

Post by chipgallo »

That's great to hear. I built a quad core system for Vegas 8 and am looking forward to running Neat Video on it. I recently got a Canon HV20 which has noise at lower light levels (compared to my Sony TRV900 anyway).

I have been a user of Neat Image for several years. You folks should have sent a release announcement to the registered users.

Anyway, thanks for the useful products!
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

Me too, used Neatimage since 2003! Its awesome.

I just made another post asking about quad core stuff as although the cores seem to be used, they are running at about half speed :(

NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The utilization may depend on NV filter settings (for example, temporal filter radius), clip size, VirtualDub itself and other VD filters used with NV as well as codecs utilized. A typical utilization figure in our tests on a quad-core computer is 85%.

Vlad