what can I use as calibration target to make a noise profile

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
crespo80

what can I use as calibration target to make a noise profile

Post by crespo80 »

In neatimage there is a calibration target image supplied by neatvideo (to print or to show on monitor) to shot with the camera at various combinations of exposure/gain etc to make a good noise profile of the camera. Is there something similar in neatvideo? If I use the same image and shot it with the videocamera, I don't find in the program anything similar to make profile from calibration target.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, you can use the Calibration Target from Neat Image. In Neat Video, there is no dedicated function (called "Auto Profile with Calibration Target") to analyze the target but you still can use the Auto Profile function to build a profile using a frame with the target. The results will be the same as if you used that dedicated function.

Vlad
crespo80

Post by crespo80 »

thanks a lot, I shooted the calibration target on my 23" LCD with the camera and I got 95% quality with auto profile (before the max was 73%) and the quality of noise reduction improved so much, especially the sharpness due to minor detail loss!!!
The best noise filter so far!!!

Just for information, I use the plugin in virtualdub, loading my DV capture using an avisynth scrip with mcbob filter (the best deinterlacer so far but also the slowest) to deintarlace it.
I get around 1.1 fps with a AMD Athlon64 X2 @2400MHz (mcbob filter is as slow as neatvideo). But the wait is worth it!!!

I noticed that Neatvideo processing is faster when the plugin is loaded directly in virtualdub, instead that in avisynth.