24-Bit vs. 48-Bit

general questions about Neat Video
tjbuege

24-Bit vs. 48-Bit

Post by tjbuege »

Hi,

The demo version doesn't support 48-bit processing, so I was wondering if someone could tell me the differences between 24-bit and 48-bit processing in terms of:

1) performance - is 48-bit slower, and if so, how much? and...

2) quality - I shoot DV format (Canon GL2); if I process the files in AfterEffects in 48-bit mode, will I see an improvement in quality, since it has more bits to work with?

Of course, these questions are referring to noise removal with the plugin. I'm considering purchasing the AfterEffects plugin, but I can't decide if the Pro version will be of benefit to me.

Oh, also, I'm considering using a couple pcs and setting up network rendering with the AfterEffects render engine. Does the license allow me to install the plugin on each pc, or would I need to purchase a separate license?

Thanks!
Tim
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Hi,

I will answer your questions below:

1) performance is the same in 48- and 24-bit workflow;

2) quality will be higher if your whole workflow is in 16 bits; there will be less losses in each step of post-processing (NV is one of them) due to round offs;

3) You can purchase a license for the Home plug-in and later upgrade to the Pro plug-in by paying the difference only;

4) According to the Neat Video license agreement, a single-user license allows you to install and use Neat Video on more than one computer provided you are only *running* it on one of them at a time, i.e., not simultaneously on both. If you need to run Neat Video on 2 computers simultaneously (for example to do the same work faster by dividing the load) then you need a 2-user license or two single-user licenses.

Vlad
tjbuege

Post by tjbuege »

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'll have to do some more investigation into whether or not network rendering will even be a viable option for me. I may have other plugins that do not support it, which would make it pointless to try network rendering.

Regarding the quality question, I understand your answer. Let me further refine my question by explaining my proposed workflow:

1. Import original DV AVI it into AfterEffects 7.0
2. Set the interpolation to deinterlace
3. Set AfterEffects color mode to 16-bit (causing NeatVideo to render in 48-bit)
4. Apply NeatVideo plugin and make appropriate settings
5. Render the composition to a lossless codec
6. Perform editing in Premiere Pro 2.0 with resulting file.

Will I see a difference in quality over AfterEffects 8-bit mode? I would think I might potentially see improvement, since as you said NeatVideo would have fewer round off errors. Does this sound like a viable workflow?

I have another question I forgot to ask. Will the Home version of the plugin work on a full frame of DVD NTSC Widescreen? I believe that is still considered 720x480, correct? Same number of "pixels" in the data?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, the workflow looks right to me.

You may see some difference between 16-bit and 8-bit versions of the workflow but I guess it will not be very obvious because there are only few steps in the workflow so not many round offs will happen (only one in Neat Video btw).

Regarding the DVD NTSC, yes, the Home plug-in will work with the whole frame just fine. The maximum frame size supported by the Home plug-in is 720x576 pixels. If you work with larger frames then you will need the Pro plug-in. I believe you can check the frame size in AE in file properties.

Vlad
Last edited by NVTeam on Thu May 10, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjbuege

Post by tjbuege »

Thank you again!

Tim