Build your own profiles?

general questions about Neat Video
mr_ianashton

Build your own profiles?

Post by mr_ianashton »

I imagine this has been asked before, but for a given camera (I don`t mean say the Panasonic GH4 as a model, but the particular GH4 in my hand) will a noise pattern at a given iso and shutter speed be consistently the same such that I can apply my own Neat Video profiles?
I ask because it is sometimes a pain to scroll through a timeline in After Effects repeatedly trying to find a point in the clip where NV will get past the "area not uniform in cb,cy channels" warning.
Thanks
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, the noise will be similar if the camera mode is the same and shooting/lighting conditions are the same. You could for example build a set of profiles for different camera modes and then load them into plug-in for each individual clip. Do not forget to use Auto Fine-Tune after loading a profile to let Neat Video adjust it to the local specifics of the current clip.

Regarding "area not uniform in cb,cy channels", that warning can show up in different situations:

1. There are some actual details in the area, not just noise. Having details is not good for accuracy of noise analysis, so it is clear that another area should better be used.

2. There are no details but there is also not much noise that you can see in the area. Then the compression artifacts may be the main thing present there. Those are often not visible to our eyes, but NV senses them and since they are typically non-uniform (think blocky artifacts that look more like details than noise), NV gives that warning. In such a situation, it may be fine to just ignore that warning and build a profile. However, if you do have more noisy areas where you can see actual noise, it is better to select one of those instead and build a profile based on that noise sample.

In my experience, it is very often faster to build a new noise profile for a specific clip than to load one of pre-built profiles. You may want to try it both ways to see what works better for you.

Kind regards,
Vlad
mr_ianashton

Post by mr_ianashton »

adding shooting conditions to the equation is adding a lot of parameters. I guess I could end up with many dozens of profiles for one camera. Has anyone done this and found it worthwhile, would you know?

If I were to do it, then clearly all the isos have to have their own category. But what about shuttter speed and aperture, those too? In other words do aperture and shutter speed also influence noise patterns?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

They can but their influence is less significant than that of ISO. So it may be okay to ignore them when building reusable profiles but then compensate for possible inaccuracy by using Auto Fine-Tune.

Vlad