Newbie needing some advice.

general questions about Neat Video
Franko5757

Newbie needing some advice.

Post by Franko5757 »

This is probably an unusual question, and situation. I was a cine enthusiast for many years, and took many hours of super 8 footage. I have now transferred this all to digital ( MP4 files on the PC) the way I transferred the footage was using my own set-up where I projected the film directly onto the CMOS of a Samsung NX1000. The lens is detachable on these cameras. I used a lens inserted into the projector, and various lens attachments to keep all the equipment steady, and to avoid setting up each time. Of course super 8 film has a 4:3 ratio, although I did experiment with scope too. I captured the film using the full HD 1920 X 1080 setting on the camera, this of course meant I would need to crop the video footage later. I was very happy with the end result, and then came across Neat video, and always wanting to improve the footage before burning to Blu-ray, I have been using the trial download to see how it works. I would like to ask
1. Would it be better to build a noise profile on the film, before cropping ? or after ?
2. would I achieve better results by making a noise profile from the Samsung NX1000 ?
3. I am very conscious of not wanting to make the footage too smooth or lose its cine look, so would using the other sharpness filters result in doing this ?
Thank you to anyone giving me any help, Frank [/img]
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

1. I think there is no difference as long as you build the noise profile and apply it to the same kind of footage (either uncropped in both cases, or cropped in both cases).

2. Probably not, as I do not see a usage scenario where having two separate profiles (one for the camera and another for the footage that you capture) could help in any way. When you just build a profile using the final video captured by NX, you take into account both grain from the film and noise from the camera.

3. Other sharpness filters? How could a sharpness filter make the footage too smooth? Please clarify.

Thank you,
Vlad
Franko5757

Post by Franko5757 »

ok, thank you for your help, I have decided to use a noise profile I made with the camera.