NV kills multi process in AE CC 2014

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
mirospain

NV kills multi process in AE CC 2014

Post by mirospain »

Hi there,
i just purchased/installed NV yesterday for use in AE CC 2014/ OSX 10.10.3.
As soon as i launched AE with proper installed MV, i wasn't able to start a RAM preview in ANY Project (even where NV was not used). I just keep getting the message "not enough frames for preview". Furthermore i coudln't get any preview because the green bar was only saving one frame.
I checked out every config (x-cores/CUDA/ ... )
I am denoising 4k RED footage, no subcomps, with 8-core MacPro, 32 GB RAM and a GTX 960. I just deinstalled NV and everything is back to normal!
Any advice is apreciated!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

That is quite unusual. You mention "multi process" in the subject. Do you mean the multiprocessing feature of AE that is currently enabled in your install of AE?

Does AE work any better with NV installed if you completely disable that feature?

Please note that generally speaking, NV is not helped by AE's multiprocessing. Quite the opposite, AE's multiprocessing interferes with NV's management of the available CPU cores and GPUs and may hog the system recourses and slow down the whole process. AE's multiprocessing is intended for simple effects/plug-ins that are not themselves able of using multiple CPU cores and GPUs. Neat Video can do that on its own, so multiprocessing just doesn't help.

Anyway, the cause of the problem may be elsewhere too.

Which version of the CUDA driver do you run? Which version of OSX is it?

Is this reproducible only with that specific type of footage (4k RED) or with any clips? For example please try the clip from our testkit.

Thank you,
Vlad
mirospain

Post by mirospain »

Yes "rendering multiple frames" from AE is turned on.
As soon as I turn it of, it renders&previews fine.
The NV installation makes the AFX Multiprocessing Feature unusable globally in my AFX throughout every project (no matter weather NV is used)
I have to deinstall NV to use it again ... an re-install to denoise my footage?!?!
CUDA Driver Version: Web Driver 346.01.02f03
OSX: 10.10.3
AFX: latest

Thanks a lot!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

mirospain wrote:Yes "rendering multiple frames" from AE is turned on.
As soon as I turn it of, it renders&previews fine.
I recommend to keep it disabled then.
mirospain wrote:The NV installation makes the AFX Multiprocessing Feature unusable globally in my AFX throughout every project (no matter weather NV is used)
That is not normal of course. We are trying to reproduce this problem now.

Thank you,
Vlad
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please let me know the exact version of After Effects you use.

Please also open Neat Video Preferences, Performance and let me see what it shows there. If GPU is not working (GTX 960 may be not supported by that version of the CUDA Driver; at least it is not supported according to the official documentation), please also make a screenshot of the GPU troubleshooting window.

Also, please try to switch to the OS X Default Graphics Driver (instead of NVIDIA Web Driver) for a test.

Thank you,
Vlad
mirospain

Post by mirospain »

Hey there!
AFX VErsion ist 13.2.0.49

GPU detection Log in Preferences says:

Neat Video 4.0.0 Pro plug-in for After Effects

Looking for NVIDIA CUDA-capable devices...
CUDA driver version: 7000
NVIDIA CUDA initialized successfully.
Checking CUDA GPU #1:
GPU device name is: GeForce GTX 960
263 MB available during initialization (2047 MB total)
Check passed - will attempt to use the device

Looking for AMD OpenCL-capable devices...
Neat Video OpenCL support was disabled either manually or after a previous failed attempt to initialize AMD/ATI OpenCL.
If you are using an AMD/ATI GPU and want Neat Video to utilize it please try to enable AMD/ATI support below in this window or contact us at aftereffects [at] neatvideo.com for instructions.

Enable NVIDIA GPU support ist checked.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you. Is that with MP enabled or disabled in AE?

Please also try to switch to the OS X Default Graphics Driver (instead of NVIDIA Web Driver) for a test.

Thank you,
Vlad
mirospain

Post by mirospain »

Hi Vlad,
MP is disabled ... it doesnt work with NV installed.
OS X default driver won't let me boot to OSX (Monitor remains black)

can you reproduce that issue?
thanks
Till
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

No, we cannot reproduce this. It all works correctly on our test machines. With or without MP in AE, it works properly.

Vlad