Rendering speed in FCPX

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
visualtec

Post by visualtec »

I removed CUDA drivers and it seems not to hang, but it's still slow render, i did the optimize option, and with 4 cores i get 4fps, but even if i select 4 cores it renders slow, very slow, i applied neat video to some clips in a timeline, and other without, when it's rendering the no plugins clips, cpu is almost at 100%, but when it gets to the neat video applied clips, cpu goes down to 50%.

I'm using an 2013 iMac with 24GB RAM, i5, and nvidia gtx775m 2MB gpu.

Please help.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

How slow does it render? How many fps?

Please post Optimize log.

Please re-download and re-install the latest CUDA driver from NVIDIA and then run Optimize again and post the log.

Thank you,
Vlad
visualtec

Post by visualtec »

Hi again,

If i install CUDA drivers, fcpx seems to render with glitches, and it even hangs. Without CUDA, and Neatvideo in CPU mode, in FCPX 10.1.4 it renders a 30 minutes clip in 12 hours, the same clip in Premiere CC 2014, with Neatvideo also in CPU Mode, it renders in 2 hours.

This is the optimize log:

Frame: 1920x1080 progressive, 32 bits per channel, Radius: 0 frames
Running the test data set on up to 4 CPU cores

1 core: 2.31 frames/sec
2 cores: 4.55 frames/sec
3 cores: 6.41 frames/sec
4 cores: 7.81 frames/sec

Best combination: 4 cores

Thanks
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is possible that there was a problem with the CUDA driver installation earlier. We received reports that re-installing the CUDA driver fixed such a problem. Which is why I suggested to re-install it again, for a test.

Regarding the render speed of FCPX vs Premiere, do you export using FCPX itself or do you export through Compressor (the latter is known to work slower in some cases)?
Do you export to exactly the same format and use the same codec in FCPX and Premiere?

Could you please create a fresh new test project with the clip from our testkit:
http://www.neatvideo.com/files3/testkit-mp4.zip
or
http://www.neatvideo.com/files3/testkit.zip

and see how much time it will take to render it in Premiere vs FCPX
(with just that clip and Neat Video applied to it)?

Thank you,
Vlad
visualtec

Post by visualtec »

Ok i did the test.

No CUDA, only CPU mode 4 cores selected.

FCPX 10.1.4

Testkit clip mp4 with Neat Video applied -> 26 seconds to render

Premiere Pro CC 2014.1

Testkit clip mp4 with Neat Video applied ->6 seconds!!!!

It seems clear there is a problem with FCPX.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Perhaps the install of FCPX is somehow broken, because there shouldn't be such a difference.

Please post Optimize results from both FCPX and Premiere (when the test project is open).

Thank you,
Vlad
visualtec

Post by visualtec »

Install is not broken, because i have the same problem in the macbook pro retina. It seems to be more related to Yosemite or FCPX itself. I posted the optimize results earlier in this post. They are the same for FCPX and Premiere.