Neat Video community Forum Index
www.neatvideo.com
Neat Video community
support - help - questions and answers - sharing experience and opinions - feedback - suggestions - backup contact

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artifacts with high threshold in Virtualdub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Neat Video community Forum Index -> Bugs, issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VHSobsessive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Artifacts with high threshold in Virtualdub Reply with quote

I have a VHS capture with some letterboxing at various places. I find an increased temporal threshold very useful with VHS (more-so than just increasing the radius) but I have found it leads to artifacts just underneath the upper black border. The artifacts shift from frame to frame and are quite obvious. I have tried a real profile and the default flat profile, both exhibit this problem. I don't believe the profile is the issue.

Closeup :

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ztzwwa2bpsacmwd/processed.jpg

Temporal radius : 2
Temporal threshold : 150%
Spatial filtering : OFF
Virtualdub 1.10.4
NV3.5

The recording is of a digital satellite broadcast.

Unprocessed and processed clips (HuffYUV):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b7lltuv4lxofj9y/nv3_issue_aug2014.zip

Apart from cropping the image (the letterboxing is not constant throughout the capture), is there any workaround for this, and can it be rectified in 3.6 please ?

E2A : Filtering is set to "interlaced".

Many thanks.
NVTeam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are trying to reduce some of the impulse noise by sending the threshold sky high, which is probably not the best solution for that specific problem. Possible workarounds could be:
- to crop the image;
- to not increase the threshold so much and do something else to suppress that noise, for example by building a noise profile using a noisier sample.

Vlad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Neat Video community Forum Index -> Bugs, issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: