Neat Video community Forum Index
www.neatvideo.com
Neat Video community
support - help - questions and answers - sharing experience and opinions - feedback - suggestions - backup contact

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiprocessing in AE not working with NV? - resolved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Neat Video community Forum Index -> Bugs, issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kommotion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Multiprocessing in AE not working with NV? - resolved Reply with quote

Hello,

I just purchased Neat Video Pro for After Effects - the results are almost unbelievable! - but I'm having an issue - hopefully somebody here can shed some light -

I often use After Effects' built-in multiprocessing mode, which renders frames simultaeneously by starting multiple instances of AfterFX.exe.

The speed-up in rendering varies, but with a quad-core workstation with 8Gb RAM, I often get great speed (like 3x faster on some comps).

I just grabbed a 13 second clip @ 1024 x 576 and rendered it only with Neat Video (no colour effects etc).
It took 2 mins 6 seconds with multiprocessing disabled (about 75% overall CPU usage), and 1 min 50 with multiprocessing enabled (CPU jumps between 80 and 100%)

For that test clip, it's not a great improvement, which is completely understandable since Neat Video itself is already multithreaded, the problem I am much more worried about is that when I render using multiprocessing, I get "Neat Video unregistered" in the bottom right corner of every frame.

If it were just Neat Video i was using, then OK, disable multiprocessing and take a small performance hit, but it's barely ever going to be just Neat Video - it's going to be used along with a whole lot of other processes/effects, many of which do benefit from AE's multiprocessing, so I really don't want to have to turn it off just to be able to render a frame without 'Neat Video unregistered', because on a complex and long comp it will cost me much much more than a few seconds.

Could it have something to do with the number of copies entry when I first started the plugin? A licensing issue?

Any help would be appreciated

Daniel
NVTeam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is some kind of technical glitch. We will try to reproduce this effect to see what is causing it. I will report back here if we find a solution.

Vlad
NVTeam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check if you have the Vista UAC enabled, perhaps it is UAC causing the trouble to the additional instances of the filter.

Thank you
Vlad
kommotion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vlad,

I should have mentioned - I'm running Windows XP Pro 64, so no UAC as far as I know...

Cheers,

Daniel
NVTeam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel,

Did you restart AE after registering NV? Do you run it in an administrator or user account?

Thank you,
Vlad
kommotion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - I guess I didn't restart after registering - seems to be working nicely now with multiprocessing on...

Looking excellent too!

Cheers,
NVTeam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good! I am glad you have fixed it.

Kind regards,
Vlad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Neat Video community Forum Index -> Bugs, issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: