Sound Filter

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
Meld

Sound Filter

Post by Meld »

Would be good to do noise profiling on audio as well and clean the soundtrack at the same time as processing video. Do you get much requests for that?

I know there are already sound tools out there like Sound Soap that specialize in audio restoration but it's a separate process and therefore more manual work for the editor.

Btw, I bought the Home version of Neat Video today and doing my foist encode. PAL DV>AviSynth>Neat Video>CCE and getting about 0.16 speed. That's 6 hours 19 mins for a 59 minute sequence, using one-pass CBR in CCE on an 2GHz Intel Alum. iMac.
Does that sound about right? I enabled multiprocessor support.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Not many requests for audio so far. I also heard of existing tools for audio filtration. It may be efficient to run them along with NV, you could try that, that should be possbile in VirtualDub.

To evaluate the filtration speed, please let me know the frame size in pixels and FPS you get when using Neat Video in VirtualDub without compression of the output. VD should show the rendering speed in fps there, and that can be compared with our own results on a similar hardware. If other operations (like conversion and compression) are also involved then the overall speed is more difficult to compare.

Also, please specify the processor type, is it an Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz?

Thank you,
Vlad
Meld

Post by Meld »

Intel Core2 Duo 2GHz with 4GB RAM using internal HD only.

This is basically my script. Original video is PAL DV 720x576@25fps:

Code: Select all

Crop(34,6,-14,-10)

# NeatVideo
  LoadVirtualDubPlugin("C:\Program Files\VirtualDub\plugins\NeatVideo.vdf","NeatVideo",1) # Integer=temporal filter radius preload
  ConvertToRGB32()
  Profile = "C:\Program Files\Neat Video for VirtualDub\PROFILES\WingTsun.dnp"
  Preset = "C:\Program Files\Neat Video for VirtualDub\PRESETS\Wing Tsun.nfp"
  Threshold = "1.0" # TemporalThreshold
  Radius = "1" # TemporalRadius
  Adaptive = "1" # Adaptive Filtration 1=on, 0=off
  Interlaced = "1"
  NeatVideo(Profile, Preset, Threshold, Radius, Adaptive, Interlaced)   

AddBorders(24,8,24,8)

Just opening it up in VDub and hitting the PLAY button I get 4.05 fps.

My foist encode ended up looking too sharp. I used the "Filter and sharpen " preset but eased off the LumiNoise level to -10% and the Reduction amounts to 40% for Luma and 50% for Chroma. I'm trying again this time with no Sharpening. It did work pretty well with noise removal though.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, 4 fps sounds about right for this processor and frame size.

Vlad
Meld

Post by Meld »

Sweet then.

Earlier I said that my processed video was too sharp and had to redo. I now have discovered it's nothing to do with the plug-in but the Luminance Levels setting I chose in CCE.

There is a setting for 0-255 or 16-235 for Luminance Levels. The default selection was 16-235 but I selected 0-255 because I thought that since I used AVISynth to change the colourspace to RGB32 and expanded the levels that 0-255 would be the right choice. Well it crushed the blacks and I lost shadow detail and whites were brighter than normal which I mistakenly thought was a 'sharpening' effect.

So I have to redo the encoding again. *hits own head*

Three times lucky I hope.

I like the Neat-Video plug-in a lot. I use both PC and Mac and will use whatever tool necessary to get the job done. Im not even going to wait for a Mac version of Neat Video as the PC has better tools for video like VirtualDub and AVISynth as well as CCE. I have no intentions going to HD yet so I don't give a toss about Final Cut Pro.