Cannot get free memory block

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
John Cline

Post by John Cline »

I own NeatVideo v2 for both Sony Vegas v7.0e and Adobe Premiere CS3. The plugin has been working perfectly in Vegas. I hadn't been using it in Premiere much until today. I have Premiere CS3 and was reducing the noise on some 720x486 YUV files captured with the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro. About 10 minutes into the render, I got the cannot allocate memory as described in this forum thread. I'm running a QX6700 quad-core processor with 2-gig of RAM on WinXP SP2.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I will reply by e-mail (you sent the same message by e-mail).

Vlad
John Cline

Post by John Cline »

I own both the Premiere and Vegas versions of NeatVideo. I still can't get NeatVideo to work reliably in Premiere CS3. Since my last message in September, I have upgraded to 4gig of RAM and have also tried NeatVideo in Vista64 with Premiere CS3. I've never been able to actually finish a render. It works great in Vegas Pro v8 however.

I wish I had bought the VirtualDub plugin instead of the Premiere version... Oh well.

John Cline
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I have just sent you our latest internal update of NV for Premiere. Please try it in your project and let me know if there are still any issues.

Thank you,
Vlad
martinperreault

Post by martinperreault »

Hi,

count me in as one of those getting this problem in Premiere CS3. I use the latest NI 2.2.

I am editing a HDV project. In one of the timelines, I have long clips (60 minutes) that I want to render with NV. I was able in the past days to render a few of those clips without problem. Today, any time I try to access the Timeline that contains those clips, I immediately get the Warning error window

"neat video cannot get free memory block from the operating system (or plug-in host) (2428656-byte memory block requested) Please make memory available for application and retry."

I tried shutting down every application I could, but to no avail.

I have 4Gb RAM installed, but use only 3GB in XP SP2 due to to the OS limitation. In Windows Task Manager, Adobe Premiere says it is using 1,230,000+ K of RAM. When I try to access the NV timeline, it goes to 1,323,072K and hangs theer. CPU gets stuck at 75% on my Quad Core. If I try to shut down the application Process, Premiere closes but the application name is still visible in the Processes with the same amount of RAM still allocated to it. I have to reboot the system.

Is there any solution to this situation?

Thank you.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

When did that start to happen on your computer? As you say, it used to work but now it doens't so I wonder what changed. New codecs? Not restarting Windows for a while?

Also, the problem may be in the project file itself. Please try to create a fresh project, add some of those clips, then add NV, build or load a noise profile and try to preview/render the project. If this will work then the problem you experience with older projects may be in that old project file.

If the error will still show up then it must be something else. Perhaps a problem with the codecs, Premiere settings, or NV settings.
If you can access NV settings in one of the projects, try to disable the Multiprocessor support (menu Tools | Options | General) to check whether this makes a difference on the affected project.

Thank you,
Vlad
martinperreault

I did the following to make it work:
- opened project
- saved project under new name
- deleted all unused Sequences and clips. Kept only the sequence which contains the clips with NV filter.
- closed project. Re-opened project.
- Access sequence with NV clips.

Now it works.

I don't know why it wouldn't work with the full project... But it seems it has to do with memory.

In this case, it's fine because I need to convert complete hdv tapes with NV, so I can do that in a seperate project. But had it been a problem with specific small clips within my project, that would be a lot more problematic s... So I still wonder what causes this problem.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

My guess is that something in the project file was somehow corrupted. This sometimes happens when Premiere freezes.

Anyway, if you will see the same error message again please let me know.

Thank you,
Vlad
martinperreault

How do we debug a Premiere project to find what "could have been" corrupted in a Premiere freeze?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

What I usually use is either removing parts one by one or creating a fresh project with NV. If NV is responsible for some trouble then it also shows in a fresh project. One more option would be to remove only NV from a large project, resave the project, restart Premiere and then add NV again.

Vlad
spatry

Experienced same error message but with Neat Image

Post by spatry »

Hi,

I'm owner of Neat Image pro 5.9 and Neat Video 2.2 Home. I've experienced the same error message but after filtering about 1000 images with Neat Image. I know it's not Neat Video specific but might be usefull to know.

Sylvain...