Neat Video Vegas - stutter

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I have finally received (this quest for information has started in June; Sony didn't provide the requested information all this time) a confirmation from the developers of Vegas:
Unfortunately, Vegas Pro 8 does not have a mechanism for accessing other frames of video. We might be adding such a capability in the future ...
Unfortunately, this means the identified consequences (stutter and lag) of that Vegas limitation shall stay (if you use NV temporal filtration in Vegas) until the corresponding capability is added by Vegas developers. For comparison, this capability is available in Premiere and After Effects for a long time already. You may want to ask Vegas developers to improve their product.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
hbrown4

Post by hbrown4 »

I made my pitch to Sony about improved plug-in support. Neat Video is a real workflow saver for me. Before NV I was compositing and blurring footage to get a better looking image.
The stutter is such a pain and disappointment to me.

Thanks for a great product.

Harold
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thanks a lot! The more people ask them the faster they add that functionality in Vegas. It would help not only NV but all filter plug-ins that do any kind of temporal processing.

Vlad
Star12

Post by Star12 »

I have had the same problem with Vegas and NV. My solution for now was to turn off temporal processing. I was wondering if quantize frames in Vegas could be causing the problem. I always edit with this feature (QF) off because when it is on it causes me problems with frame repeating in transitions with plugins like Boris and Spice. I wonder if the opposite could be true for NV. And ideas anyone?

Thanks for the wonderful plugin NV team. It has been one of my best purchases of the year. :D
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for your kind words. :)

Regarding the causes of the identified issues, there is no need to guess, the causes are known and are located in Vegas itself. What we all can do to eliminate them is to ask Vegas developers to do something about them.

Thank you once again,
Vlad
candlelightproductions

umm.. impact of disabling temporal filtration?

Post by candlelightproductions »

NVTeam wrote:...<snip> (if you use NV temporal filtration in Vegas)...<snip>...
Um.. OK. So I purchased NeatVideo for Vegas.. looks awesome.. doing my first 17 hr render (OY!). OK, I'd love to see if there's a way to optimize the code so rendering doesn't drag on like this...

but my real question is: "what's the impact of disabling temporal filtration?" Aside from avoiding temporalarily avoiding the jittery anomoly, how will this affect its capabilities and the final image?

Thanks in advance!
:-) Rob
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Disabling temporal filtration will reduce the quality. Please try that on a short clip and you will see the difference.

It may be not really necessary to disable the temporal filter. There may be other ways to avoid the stutter problem like overlapping the adjacent clips to hide the area with stutter.

Vlad
candlelightproductions

Post by candlelightproductions »

NVTeam wrote:Disabling temporal filtration will reduce the quality. Please try that on a short clip and you will see the difference.
Thanks.. I'll try to remember to check it out when my I get control of my machine back ;-) did I say 17.5 hrs?! HA! Try more like 2-3 days... it's still rendering?! OY!
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Who specifically at Sony should we contact to ask them to improve the support for third party plug-ins? Who are you guys contacting? I'd really like to see Sony actually do something about this.

I'd like to throw my weight behind this,. Sony need to get their act together and give thris party developers what they need! By not implementing the required changes, they are restricting their product's potential.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/for ... eID=581229

NV is a great product, but it's sadly not a part of my workflow because of the stuttering issues.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Hi Leigh,

I have just sent you a private message to answer your question about contacts.

Also, there is a description of a partial workaround for the stutter problem, you may want to try it until Sony does improve Vegas and its documentation.

Thank you for posting in the Vegas forum. Other Vegas+NV users may want to second that opinion in that forum to better motivate the Vegas developers.

Vlad
VanLazarus

Post by VanLazarus »

Would it be possible to post those contacts at Sony for third party support so that more Vegas users can harrass them for better plugin support?
Joran

Post by Joran »

ForumAdmin on the Vegas Pro forum says this:

"To enable the 64-bit versions of Vegas Pro we changed the File I/O plug-in interfaces for Vegas Pro 8.1 and Vegas Pro 9.0 (32-bit and 64-bit).

We have made the updated File I/O SDK available to all of the parties who have existing Vegas File I/O plug-ins so they can update their plug-in to the new interfaces. When they do that, their plug-ins will work with Vegas Pro 9.0."

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/for ... eID=655449

Questions: Have you received this updated File I/O SDK? If so, does this solve the Vegas problems you have described?

Jøran Toresen
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

No, we haven't. Moreover, we do not use the "File I/O SDK".

What we use is "Video Plug-In Development Kit" available in http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/devkits
Its current version does not offer a solution for the issue we discussed in this thread.

Vlad
Joran

Post by Joran »

So what is the exact nature of the problem? That you can't access future frames in Vegas?

Jøran Toresen
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, Vegas is not able to serve any frame besides the current one. Temporal processing is seriously limited in this situation.

Vlad