rendering took over 3 days?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
allenz

rendering took over 3 days?

Post by allenz »

Hi
I did a VHS capture of an old video for a friend what was lousy with the same kind of noise depicted on Neat Video's website with those noise lines. That photo was exactly what I had to deal with. That's why I purchased Pro version. But! The tape was 3 years old and recorded in EP mode UGH!

Anyway I cleaned it up with Neat Video and looked good on my monitor but after 3 days it wasn't even getting close to finishing.

My computer is;
Intel P4/630 3.0 GHz,
800 MHz Front Side bus
Socket 775
Intel 915 Chipset
MoB Asus PTGD1-LA
2Gb PC 3200 RAM
2-250GB Sata internal HD
External IEEE1394/USB2 HD
1-WD MyBook 300gB
1-Seagate 750

Is this normal or did I do something wrong?
Thanks
Allen Zagel
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You haven't specified the most important parameters of the video data that are crucial in determining the processing time: frame size (in pixels), fps (frames per seconds), clip length (in seconds). Also, processing speed depends on the filter settings. Without all these data it is very difficult to tell if 3 days is too long or not. It sounds long but if the video is several hours long then it is not suprising at all.

Generally, I recommend to run NV on a system with fast processor (preferably Core or Core 2, with 2 or 4 cores) and fast memory. NV noise reduction is computation- and memory-intensive, so it is important to have these components as good as possible.

Vlad
allenz

Post by allenz »

Sorry. The video was almost 2 hours long, DV-AVI 720 x 480 NTSC, 29,97fps. And I had to clean the entire tape.

From what you said I sssume with my machine specs 3 days or more might be normal.

So what you're saying is to split the video into clips that might need NV/NR if the entire video doesn't need it? In this case the entire video was horrible

I hope to be able to get one of those Dual Core or Core 2, machines soon.
Allen
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Then 3 days sounds about right, perhaps a bit longer than expected.

On a Core 2 Duo 3.26 GHz, it would take about 12-15 hours.

Vlad
allenz

Post by allenz »

Ooooh! Now you made me hungry ;-) for a new computer.
Thanks
Allen
scottbrickert

Post by scottbrickert »

If a Core2Duo at 3.26 GHz would get it done in 12-15 hours, would a QuadCore at 3.2GHz get done in 6-8 hours?

If so, my CoreDuo is for sale....
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Well, the speedup in this case would be about x1.5-1.7. In any case, 4 cores are better than 2, NV can use more cores to do more work at the same time.

Vlad