NeatVideo and Sony Vegas Pro 8

general questions about Neat Video
Joran

NeatVideo and Sony Vegas Pro 8

Post by Joran »

Hello. Will NeatVideo be compatible with the upcoming Sony Vegas Pro 8?

Jøran Toresen
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I expect it will. Sony wants to keep compatibility with plug-ins written for older versions of Vegas, and we also want to preserve compatibility.

Vlad
Joran

Post by Joran »

Thank you, but have you tested NeatVideo in Sony Vegas Pro 8?

Jøran Toresen
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Not yet.

Vlad
John Cline

Post by John Cline »

NeatVideo v2.0 works just fine in Vegas Pro v8.

I just downloaded the NeatVideo v2.1 update and I'll be installing it in Vegas Pro v8 shortly. I'm not expecting any issues.

John
hbrown4

Post by hbrown4 »

John Cline wrote:NeatVideo v2.0 works just fine in Vegas Pro v8.

I just downloaded the NeatVideo v2.1 update and I'll be installing it in Vegas Pro v8 shortly. I'm not expecting any issues.

John
Hi,
What login do I use to download the latest version? I am entering my registration code and license name but that isn't working. I have Vegas Pro 8 but older plug-in isn't working.

Thanks,
Harold
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You entered the Name not the way it appears in the license. Please make sure you enter the Name and Registration code exactly as specified in the license.

Thank you,
Vlad
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Have any of the problems with Neat Video and Vegas 7 been resolved with Vegas 8?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You mean the lack of the plug-in host's capability that is necessary to avoid stutter? - This is investigated by our team, but results are not ready yet. I will update the corresponding thread in this forum when they become available.

The latest version of Neat Video for Vegas does incorporates some improvements that were a result of our dialog recently. However, the stutter issue remains unresolved in Vegas in general. The problem comes from the fact Sony doesn't update the software development kit for Vegas (which we need to develop plug-ins for new versions of Vegas) for years (!) and doesn't answer technical questions for months. Even if the problem that is present in Vegas 6 and 7 is resolved in Vegas 8, we need an updated software development kit from Sony to be able to use the new capability of Vegas.

If you use Vegas, please voice your opinion, tell Sony to update the software development kit to let third-party developers like us make sure our plug-ins can utilize all required capabilities in Vegas and if some capabilities are missing in Vegas then to add (and document!) them.

Thank you,
Vlad
dsmj

excellent

Post by dsmj »

Neat 2.1 is amazing. It should ship with every copy of Vegas pro for the HDV-FX1. I mean that, the amps in the FX1 are High frequency noise prone and one radius 3 pass makes the outcome look like a much more expensive camera.

I just got Neat 2.1 - now i realize i have to clean 50% of my library of work to getthe look I always wanted.

I am getting my Vegas Pro8 upgrade on friday.

One odd thing in my outcome though....
vegas 7 on my system is it sems to push out a few frames ( possibly = the radius setting for tempral noise) - meaning the video loses vocal sync a bit in WMV 9 CBR. I am Testing in AVI out (flattened progressive)now. Looks like the video is ahead of audio by just a couple or 3 frames on one test.

Anyhow - YOU ALL AT NEAT ARE AMAZING for how well this works, kudos gents. BTW 2.1 works really well for managing the "too much facial detail" issue that HD1080 video can cause. Some people look really scary in HD and your filter lets me manage that.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

I have just received your report from the website as well and I replied by e-mail. Yes, there is a lag when you use NV temporal filter with radius>0 in Vegas. Since Vegas cannot provide consequent frames to let the plug-in conduct temporal filtration, the inevitable consequence is a lag (= radius of the temporal filter). I have provided some additional comments in my e-mails, please check it.

Vlad
Joran

Post by Joran »

Is it not possible to insert x numbers of uncorrected frames (x = radius) in the beginning of each clip so that sync is obtained / maintained?

Jøran Toresen
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is possible to output uncorrected frames in the beginning but that will not resolve the problem, the delay will still be present because the temporal filter still needs to work with frames that are ahead of the current one to render and output the current one.

Vlad
Joran

Post by Joran »

I do not understand this. Related to frame 1 there is an audio section equal to 1/25 seconds (PAL). Related to frame 2 there is an audio section equal to 1/25 seconds. And so on. It must be possible to separate the video and audio signals such that NeatVideo sync the first 1/25 seconds of audio to the first uncorrected frame, the next 1/25 seconds of audio to the second uncorrected frame, the third 1/25 seconds of audio to the third – and first corrected – frame. And so on. (When the radius is set to two.) Or am I missing something?

Jøran Toresen
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Neat Video itself is a video filter, it doesn't touch any audio. That's why I only commented on the lag in video sequence, audio and audio-video sync is another issue.

(Re-)synchronization of video and audio streams is a job of a plug-in host. Some hosts resync audio and video by taking into account the lag, some hosts avoid the video lag (and audio-video missync) at the source by providing frames to filter plug-ins (as I described earlier). Vegas doesn't do anything. It could, but for some unclear reason it doesn't.

It is a Vegas problem and Sony engineers are aware of it from the beginning. Moreover, they are actively asked (by developers of plug-ins for Vegas) to correct this problem at least since 2004 (there is a written evidence of that in Sony Vegas forums), yet the problem still exists in the latest version of Vegas. Sony Vegas technical support does't answer technical questions for months, even after repeated requests. Strange, isn't it?

Vlad