Totally Frustrated

general questions about Neat Video
budboy65

Totally Frustrated

Post by budboy65 »

Hello Everyone, Not with Neatvideo, but with my final output. I did have problems with crashing in FCPX, but now that I am on AE CC it's not crashing.

My camera, a brand new Sony A7RII. 16-35mm I'm shooting 30p at 1/100th F8 slog2 in super 35 mode. I'm trying to smooth out motion blur in a real estate video tour hence using a higher frame rate. I've also tried 24p. First problem with the scene is light. even when all natural light is coming in, all artifical lights are on, it is pushing the iso past 12800 so I am having to back down to 6400 at max. I manage to color grade and adjust everything nicely in Color Finesse 3. Then I move to Neat video. It is amazing the results you get. I am on an manual profile since I am moving from hallways to living rooms to kitchens. Everything looks good and I hit apply. Things look somewhat blurry after for I go back in to neatvideo and adjust the sharpening. Again, everything looks good. Before I export, I look at everything frame by frame, don't see a problem. Export using ProRes 422 and playback is pretty good. I did notice some banding and went back into neatvideo. I tried the preset to counter banding, but really didn't help. I did try adding a layer adjustment, added 3% noise and then a 4 color gradient with opacity set to 1%. Exported again and no banding.

Everything is pretty clear and smooth. I take that file and upload it to youtube and it looks aweful. Lots of artifacts, and it looks like walls and kitchen cupboards are alive and crawling.

Anyone have any experience with youtube.

Thanks,

Robert
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Youtube obviously re-compressed the uploaded videos and that new compression apparently creates the banding. The only way to fight that seems to be adding some more noise into the final output or leaving some more noise in the image.

Another thing to check is the player used to play back the Youtube video. A lower quality player (like Quicktime) may show more banding than even actually present in the video clip because inaccurate decoding may also add some banding. It is of course not possible to avoid using such players in all cases, so adding some noise back may still be necessary.

Vlad
budboy65

Post by budboy65 »

NVTeam wrote:Youtube obviously re-compressed the uploaded videos and that new compression apparently creates the banding. The only way to fight that seems to be adding some more noise into the final output or leaving some more noise in the image.

Another thing to check is the player used to play back the Youtube video. A lower quality player (like Quicktime) may show more banding than even actually present in the video clip because inaccurate decoding may also add some banding. It is of course not possible to avoid using such players in all cases, so adding some noise back may still be necessary.

Vlad
Hi Vlad, I appreciate the response, but I already know this ais have read elswhere about the compression. The issue is that if I take footage with only color grading into youtube there is only the noise with no artifacts. If I upload a neat video bit of footage with the preset to add noise to reduce banding the artifacts are still there and the noise is obvious.

Then I thought to only bring in the actual footage from the camera and no banding, just noise. There weren't any artifacts.

What I don't understand is your comment about the player. If I'm on an Android tablet i, using the youtube player from there and if I am on an iPad using the youtube player there. If I am on a desktop pc or mac I'm on the player there. So I must be the only one in the world using neat idea and youtube that is experiencing these issues, because it sure looks like there are alot of good quality videos out there.

So let me ask you, based on your videos posted on youtube, what codec did you use seeing how your videos are good quality?

Thanks,

Robert
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Those clips were encoded with h264 and uploaded to Youtube, which most likely re-encoded them.

Vlad
budboy65

Post by budboy65 »

NVTeam wrote:Those clips were encoded with h264 and uploaded to Youtube, which most likely re-encoded them.

Vlad
Hi Vlad,

Thanks for the information. I sent an email to Youtube support and received a response. "Due to the high volume of uploads, Youtube reserves the right to transcode media to its' highest quality. Processing times may vary and typical transcoding could take up to 72 hours. Please be patient!

So it seems a nice problem for Youtube to have.

So this explains why when I checked yesterday it was only showing 720p but still must have been transcoding. Today I checked on various devices and 1080p is there and the quality is great!

Thanks,

Robert
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Usually it takes them not so long, but I guess it should depend on the length of the clip too. I am glad the quality is good now.

Vlad
mathewlisett

Post by mathewlisett »

Just so you know, youtube was 100% awful early last year and went on...heck i think it still happens where peoples 4K footage aswell as fullhd content went BLOCKY. yep, and it was all down to youtube messing with their coding. so a LOT of content was infact messed with and a LOT of fans from many channels moaned about the quality being rather wlel you know the four letter word.