Neat Video community Forum Index
www.neatvideo.com
Neat Video community
support - help - questions and answers - sharing experience and opinions - feedback - suggestions - backup contact

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading to GTX 970 not much faster, is this normal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Neat Video community Forum Index -> General questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trixter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Upgrading to GTX 970 not much faster, is this normal? Reply with quote

I mainly restore 12-bit captures of 480i material, so lots of 720x480i 32-bit work with neatvideo. I've used Premiere CS5 with a GTX 470 for years with these kinds of performance times:

720x480i 32-bits radius 1 75% of available GPU RAM: GPU only = 22.7fps, CPU + GPU = 26.3fps

I upgraded the video card to the GTX 970 which over has 3 times the cores and memory bandwidth, but when I test, I see only a tiny improvement:

GPU only = 30.3fps, CPU + GPU = 31.3

Why such a small improvement? Any ideas? This was very disappointing to see after spending nearly $400 on a new video card.

(All CPU+GPU times were done by choosing Optimize and accepting the fastest combination. Also, I know the last 0.5G of the 970's RAM is slower than the rest so I was careful to tell it to use only the first 75% of GPU RAM.)
NVTeam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Why such a small improvement?

I think the main reason is the small frame size. When the amount of data to be processed is small, the GPU processing overhead (which is always present) becomes non-negligible in comparison with the actual frame processing done by GPU. Even if the frame processing is much faster, the overhead is still the same.

For comparison I recommend to check the speedup (GTX 470 vs GTX 970) on a larger frame, at least 1920x1080 or even larger. Then you will see the actual difference between GPUs.

Vlad
Trixter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have confirmed that larger frame sizes show better results.

Unfortunately I still seem to be lagging behind -- the GTX 970 is one of the best cards you can get right now, yet I'm posting speeds under that of a 780 Ti. (I submitted results at http://fifonik.com/nv/ for verification).

Maybe my CPU is too old/slow, which contributes to the processing overhead...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Neat Video community Forum Index -> General questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: