Unacceptable rendering speed with FCPX on iMac2013

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
Shodan

Unacceptable rendering speed with FCPX on iMac2013

Post by Shodan »

Hello,

I was used to this Neat Video on Vegas on PC and I was really very happy with this plugin.
I just moved to iMac and decided to use it too on FCPX, here is my configuration :
- iMac late 2013 : 3,5GHz i7 - 8GB DDR3 - Nvidia GTX 780M 4096MB
- Yosemite 10.10.1
- Cuda drivers installed : 6.5.18
- FCPX 10.1.3
- Neat Video 3.6 demo plugin

Benchmark and Optimization done => should render at ~18fps

Unfortunatly, I am very disappointed with the rendering speed :
My current 40 min project renders in ~30min when NeatVideo filter is not activated (some FXFactory filters are ON).
When I activate NeatVideo filter, well, I am not able to say how long it takes, since last time I try a rendering, I stopped it at 40% after 4 days !

There is clearly an issue with rendering speed with FCPX - I am glad I download the free demo, and not bought it at first. It is not Professional to sell 50 to 100 bucks a software with so poor performances ! Did you test it at least before releasing it ?

Please do something to correct that. I am really disappointed because this product is the best I have ever seen to remove noise in video and I cannot use it on my iMac.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

One of the limitations of the Demo version is the limit of 30 minutes. The where you apply Neat Video should be shorter than 30 min.

Then, when you run Optimization inside Neat Video, it shows the speed of the filter alone, without any other effects that may be used in your project, without decoding and encoding time and other FCPX overhead. The speed of FCPX rendering is always lower (than what Neat Video's Optimize measures) because of that, that is normal.

At the same time, only 40% in 4 days is certainly not normal. Something is not right. Probably in your project. For example, do you apply Neat Video as the first effect in the clip?
Do you apply (together with NV) use any other effect that does temporal processing?

Please also run the following test:
1. create a fresh new test project with the clip from our testkit;
2. add only one effect to that clip - Neat Video; build a noise profile, make sure it works in preview;
3. open Neat Video Preferences and run Optimize; post its results here; please also make a screenshot of the Performance tab, post it too or send it to support [at] neatvideo.com;
4. render this project and measure the time it takes; post it here too.

Thank you,
Vlad
Shodan

Post by Shodan »

Hello,

First of all, I really appreciate your quick feedback.

First a few thought/answers :
#1 - Regarding the 30 min limitation of the Demo Version, my understanding is that the filter will be applied only during that 30 first minutes, disregarding the movie duration. How do you explain this can slow the rendering process ?
#2 - Yes, Neat Video is the first filter applied
#3 - As I said, I also applied antoher filter from FXFactory (PHYX Cleaner ChromaReconstructor) to my project. But I am doubtfull that the 18 fps benchmark performances can be too negatively affected by that : my project is a 40min / 30fps movie, so roughly 30*60*40 = 7200 frames. When it is rendered with neat video deactivated, it is done in ~30 minutes, i.e at ~240 fps !
#4 - I agree that the issue may be related to my project itself : original sequence size is 720x576 at 25fps while the rendered movie is 1280x720 at 30 fps - Does Neat Video is able to deal with this change of size and framerate ?

It is a good suggestion to make a test with your test kit. I'll do that and post the feedback here.

Thank you for your support
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

#4 - Neat Video doesn't deal with that, FCPX does. That is the point where FCPX may have problems leading to that slowdown.

Please try to process an already resized clip with FCPX and Neat Video (for example, use the clip from our testkit) and see if the problem is reproducible. If it is not reproducible then it may indeed be a new bug in FCPX.

If resizing the frame does not change anything, check if the frame rate change plays the role.

Both frame size change and frame rate change may cause FCPX to work considerably slower when using a plug-in that does temporal processing. Such issues with temporal processing are often caused by bugs in FCPX's temporal API used by plug-ins that require such support from FCPX. It would not be the first time.

Vlad