Panasonic GH4 Noise Reduction

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
mclein

Panasonic GH4 Noise Reduction

Post by mclein »

Hi Guys,
moving from my 5d mk III to GH4 i am having a lot of problem to effectively reduce noise.
I am asking if you want to share neat vide settings, ideas, advices and learnings in order to improve the low light results.
thanks!
crownam1

Post by crownam1 »

Would also like to know this...
c manthey

Post by c manthey »

From the user manual:

1) It is preferable to build a new noise profile for each clip, because such a profile would perfectly match the noise of that clip.

2) select areas that are:

featureless
uniform
contain no visible details,
most noisy
containing all color channels

(This last one says to me neutral areas with equal clipping noise in all channels are best.
Maybe white balance beforehand also. Maybe NVteam can comment)
:D

3) If the profile quality is higher than 60% then you can be sure that the noise profile is accurate

4) Temporal filtration allows Neat Video to improve the overall quality of noise reduction. Neat Video uses several consecutive frames to better reduce noise and preserve more true details in each frame.

5) Applying adaptive filtration automatically adjust its filters to the changing noise when this option is enabled. The noise properties of the video data may vary in different parts of the clip. If the noise is the same in different parts of the clip then this option can be left disabled.

Advanced filter box:

1) If the clip contains large color blobs sometimes produced by compression then you may want to enable the Very low freq option in the Noise Filter Settings box

2) Check the Smooth edges option to make edges and lines in the clip look smoother.

3) Check the High quality option to enable higher-quality noise reduction filter. This will slightly slow down processing but will deliver the most accurate results in return.

4) Check the High resolution option to enable the higher-resolution noise filter. This may be useful when processing clips with very fine details that should be better preserved by the filter.
(This should be good with 4k footage from the GH4. Maybe nvteam can comment) :D
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

That is correct except the High resolution option. It is about higher resolution of fine details in the image, rather than about large size of the frame. :-)

Vlad
c manthey

Post by c manthey »

Great, thanks for the reply!