Please give us a more SPECIFIC workflow for FCPX

general questions about Neat Video
Finalcutprorory

Please give us a more SPECIFIC workflow for FCPX

Post by Finalcutprorory »

Hi.

There is a lot of info out there for Adobe workflows with your product, but not for FCPX. I think a lot of us would benefit from some help with this.

1. Which Project Render settings should I use for best result??

2. Is it best to use Neat Video on "Optimized/Transcoded" i.e. Pro Res footage, or better to use first on original version of footage and then transcode?

3. Does FCPX use high bit depth rendering? How? Is this decided by Project Render settings? Is there the option for seperate Luma and Chroma channels, or do I set this up somehow?? I think I've read that FCPX uses floating 32 bit rendering all the time. Is that true? What does that mean? Do my project render settings even matter??

If you could please answer all these questions to the best of your ability, as well as providing any other helpful hints to ABSOLUTELY OPTIMIZE your footage with Neat Video IN FCPX. THAT WOULD HELP A LOT OF US OUT.

THANKS
NVTeam

Re: Please give us a more SPECIFIC workflow for FCPX

Post by NVTeam »

Finalcutprorory wrote:There is a lot of info out there for Adobe workflows with your product, but not for FCPX. I think a lot of us would benefit from some help with this.
Please note that our video tutorials are mostly host-neutral: they apply to any host application, be it an Adobe host or FCPX or any other supported host application.
Finalcutprorory wrote:1. Which Project Render settings should I use for best result??
The only recommendations related to Neat Video are the following:
FCP X with enabled skimming and background rendering may be slower to respond to user actions when a computationally-intensive filter (such as Neat Video) is added to the project. Please consider disabling skimming and/or background rendering in FCP X Preferences or temporarily disabling Neat Video (in the panel Inspector > Video > Effects > Reduce Noise) when not adjusting Neat Video's settings.
Finalcutprorory wrote:2. Is it best to use Neat Video on "Optimized/Transcoded" i.e. Pro Res footage, or better to use first on original version of footage and then transcode?
From the point of view of Neat Video itself, that doesn't make any difference because it doesn't access/read those files directly. FCPX reads them so it is mostly a question to FCPX. In my experience, it is easier for FCPX to work when the data are optimized on import to FCPX. This often helps FCPX to work correctly when serving frames to plug-ins (FCPX fails at that more often when using non-optimized data).
Finalcutprorory wrote:3. Does FCPX use high bit depth rendering? How? Is this decided by Project Render settings?
Yes, FCPX does its own rendering in high bitdepth (when you do not use Neat Video as well). Neat Video simply supports that from its side too. You cannot disable or enable that in FCPX, it is just automatic. It just works, as they say.
Finalcutprorory wrote:Is there the option for seperate Luma and Chroma channels, or do I set this up somehow?? I think I've read that FCPX uses floating 32 bit rendering all the time. Is that true? What does that mean? Do my project render settings even matter??
No, they don't matter. FCPX does that automatically, not asking user.

I do not fully understand your question about separation of channels. You may want to clarify.

Thank you,
Vlad
Finalcutprorory

Post by Finalcutprorory »

Hi. thanks so much for your thorough response. I think this info could help many of us. Final clarifications would be, do project render settings matter?
I saw elsewhere that you advised someone to change to 10 bit uncompressed in FCPX project render settings.

1. WHAT DOES CHANGING PROJECT RENDER SETTINGS REALLY DO?

2. No matter what I have project render settings set on, I will have the option to change luma and chroma channels separately in NEAT VIDEO yes?

3. And no matter what I have them set too, NEAT VIDEO will work in HIGH BIT DEPTH all the time in FCPX.(assuming you are using PRO VERSION of NEAT VIDEO)

IS this correct? THANKS!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Finalcutprorory wrote:Final clarifications would be, do project render settings matter?
They do matter for the project itself. Not for Neat Video.
Finalcutprorory wrote:I saw elsewhere that you advised someone to change to 10 bit uncompressed in FCPX project render settings.
Please re-check what that was about. Perhaps about FCP7, not FCXP.
Finalcutprorory wrote:1. WHAT DOES CHANGING PROJECT RENDER SETTINGS REALLY DO?
Please kindly check the FCPX documentation to find out what specific settings of FCPX do.
Finalcutprorory wrote:2. No matter what I have project render settings set on, I will have the option to change luma and chroma channels separately in NEAT VIDEO yes?
Yes. Neat Video is completely independent of FCPX project settings.
Finalcutprorory wrote:3. And no matter what I have them set too, NEAT VIDEO will work in HIGH BIT DEPTH all the time in FCPX.(assuming you are using PRO VERSION of NEAT VIDEO)
IS this correct?
It will work in the bitdepth required by FCPX in any given moment. If FCPX will ask the plug-in to work in 8 bits then it will work in 8 bits. If FCPX asks to work in 32 bits then the Pro plug-in will do work in 32 bits.

Vlad