Losing detail in streams of water

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
rimage

Losing detail in streams of water

Post by rimage »

I find that the setting that gets rid of most of the artifacts in other places kills detail in jets of water as seen in the pics below.

Notice how the ripples in the water jets get washed/smoothed out. The setting that seems to make the biggest difference is noise reduction level in the Y channel but if I lower it, artifacts get introduced in other areas. I also run into this problem with video of waves at the beach, where it interprets the foaminess at the edge of the breaking waves as noise.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Before:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zvAZ ... sp=sharing

After:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zvAZ ... sp=sharing
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

1. Make sure you build the noise profile accurately, as there are not many areas suitable for analysis in these frames.

2. Try to apply less spatial noise reduction (decrease the Y noise reduction amount inside Neat Video window) and add more temporal noise reduction (increase the temporal filter radius).

Hope this helps,
Vlad
rimage

Post by rimage »

NVTeam wrote:1. Make sure you build the noise profile accurately, as there are not many areas suitable for analysis in these frames.

2. Try to apply less spatial noise reduction (decrease the Y noise reduction amount inside Neat Video window) and add more temporal noise reduction (increase the temporal filter radius).

Hope this helps,
Vlad
Okay. The profile was built using various other frames, I didn't take any info from this particular frame, I'm just showing a problem I noticed on this and similar frames that have the water streams.
mathewlisett

Post by mathewlisett »

basically as soon as you include other features such as lines or different shading into the mix, more detail will be taken into account and like detail that you actually want to keep, such as the waves.

if you hadnt already, zoom into the frame and select an area thats the flatest part of the water and then try selecting low frequency i think