Image is being cropped/distorted (5k footage)!

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
Blakekhodges

Image is being cropped/distorted (5k footage)!

Post by Blakekhodges »

Hello. Just bought Neat Video Pro. Working in FCPX with ProRes 5k Footage (originally from RED Epic), I am applying a basic Neat Video Noise Reduction to the 5k footage, but as soon as I do so, the image in the timeline becomes cropped. Approximately 20% of the right side of the image is cropped away, and it is filled in the frame with 20% of the LEFT side of the image, essentially creating a bizarre mirror effect. :roll: This happens on any clip I apply the Noise Reduction to.

Working in FCP X 10.0.8 .

What is going on here? I assume something is not right. Help is appreciated!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

There seems to be a bug in FCPX 10.0.8, which shows up with large frames (like 5120x2160) when certain type of plug-ins (doing temporal processing) are used. We saw such a mirroring/cropping effect on our machines too and it is reproducible in FCPX if we use other plug-ins as well, so it is not specific to Neat Video. Even the most simple test plug-in (provided by Apple) is sufficient to reproduce the problem.

So it looks like a bug in FCPX itself. We have reported this problem to Apple and they are investigating now. As soon as they find a solution or fix, we will update our list of known problems (most of them are currently related to FCPX).

Thank you,
Vlad
Blakekhodges

Post by Blakekhodges »

Thanks for the clear answer Vlad. It is much appreciated. Has this issue been known to exist in Motion 5? If not, I'll go ahead and "crunch out" all the shots I need noise-reduced from FCPX and round-trip them to Motion and back in to FCPX.
Blakekhodges

Post by Blakekhodges »

Just took my clips into Motion 5, and I am running into a similar problem. When I drop the Neat Video filter on to my clip, a warning comes up saying that "the frame size is too large to render so the video will be cropped." and then Motion crops the image in from both sides, essentially turning it into a 4:3 ratio. Is there any way around this? Any work around for FCPX/Motion5? Did I just spend $100 for something that won't work with my footage at all?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, Motion 5 has its own limit on the frame size it can pass to plug-ins. That limit is smaller than 5120x2160 and it is imposed by Motion 5 itself, plug-ins have no say in that. Neat Video itself can process frames of any size but Motion 5 limits the size of the frame it can give to plug-ins, including Neat Video. Only Apple can lift that artificial limitation. You may want to contact them and ask to do that.

I am not aware of any workarounds except asking Apple to fix those problems in FCPX and Motion 5 as soon as possible. Which we do from our side and I recommend you, as a paying Apple user, to do the same. The more people ask the more likely it is that Apple fixes their applications sooner. Otherwise it does indeed look like we all spend money on FCPX/Motion5 but they do not work properly when we need them, because of those unfixed bugs.

You may want to contact Apple directly and ask them to fix that bug soon. Please use this specialized form they provide: http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Regarding $99.90 that you spent on Neat Video, if you don't want to wait for Apple to fix their bugs and just want to cancel your order and not use Neat Video, please contact sales [at] neatvideo.com about that, they can help.

Perhaps FCP7 could run that clip.. It certainly can use the same Neat Video plug-in.

Thank you,
Vlad
Blakekhodges

Post by Blakekhodges »

Thank you kindly. I will contact Apple and push for these changes. Your assistance is much appreciated.
kevw8504

Red Epic Footage Neat Video FCPX

Post by kevw8504 »

Im working with footage from a red epic at 5120 × 2700, and I'm fighting this mirrored on the right side. Ive cropped in a couple with no other options but I would love to use NV on much more of these edits. I would prefer not to reconvert or down res the footage. I love Neat Video any work arounds would be greatly appreciated, also other people should report this to Apple.[/img][/code]
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The only solution for now is to report this to Apple so that they could fix the bug in FCPX as soon as possible. Please report the problem to Apple. They know about it but the more people ask them the sooner it will be fixed.

Thank you,
Vlad
ray.gorbea

Post by ray.gorbea »

I am having a similar issue with 4K footage and Adobe Premiere CC. My issue is definitely NOT Apple. I now have mixed scaling clips in my sequence. Only disabling the plugin fixes the scaling/crop issue.

please help!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Did you see the problem of 5k footage in FCPX? Are you sure it is similar?

> I now have mixed scaling clips in my sequence.
Probably that is the source of the problem in your case, while in FCPX it is a confirmed bug in FCPX, which reproduces not only with Neat Video.

Thank you,
Vlad
ray.gorbea

Post by ray.gorbea »

Not the exact issue but some similarities. I will test some more and email support. I don't have mixed frame rate footage. The mixed scaled clips are from the crop when applying the NV filter to the clips. Some clips have the NV filter applied and same don't. Sorry for confusion. Hope my issue gets resolved. For my other 1080 clips NV is a miracle!