DO I have to render before encoding?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
mlombar720

DO I have to render before encoding?

Post by mlombar720 »

I am new to the Neat Video plugin. I am using it with Premiere CC and I love the results but it takes a long time to render and even longer to encode.

So my question is this, do I have to render the footage in Premiere before I send the sequence to Media Encoder or can I just send the non-rendered seq to Media Encoder?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Premiere will anyway have to render whatever is being encoded, so there is no need to render manually. This is not specific to Neat Video, Premiere works the same way with all video filters.

Vlad
mlombar720

Post by mlombar720 »

Thanks for the very prompt reply!

Two other questions, as I'm going into my busy season.

First, I want to get the Calibration Target printed out. What would be the best way? I'm thinking going to Staples and having them print it on matt card stock. is this a good idea or would something else work better?

And lastly. I am planning on this work flow. Capture video with calibration target, load footage into Premiere, color and level correct, apply Neat Video, and then edit all the footage. Or would it be better to output the footage with the color and level corrections along with the Neat Video plugin, then import the new corrected footage and then edit?

Thanks so much for the help.

I love the results I'm getting with Neat Video, just wish it was faster to render but its worth the wait.

Mike
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I recommend to start without the target, by building profiles using the actual clips themselves. That can be more accurate than using a single profile built from the target.

If you do want to use the target you can of course print it out any way you like, for example using your own printer, that is not really critical. More important (if you want to use the target as source of noise profiles for your clips) is to include the target into the actual scenes you shoot, so that the target and scene had the same noise.

Regarding the workflow, I recommend to try different options directly and then decide what works better for you. It is often a matter of personal preference.

On the processing speed, I recommend to check the Optimize tool in Neat Video Preferences. It may help to get a bit higher speed.

Thank you,
Vlad
mlombar720

Post by mlombar720 »

Thanks for the info. I did run the optimizer and changed some settings so hopefully it runs a bit faster. But I understand that it is doing a lot of work. I think I just might have to get a faster computer.

Thanks for this great plug in. It's makes a big difference!