Cannot get free memory block

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
ritsmer

Cannot get free memory block

Post by ritsmer »

I have been using Neat Video filter with Sony Vegas Movie studio platinum 7.0a for some days now.

Some video rendering goes well, bot others stop with the warning: "Neat Video cannot get free memory block from the operating system (or plugin host) (10417600-byte memory block is requested)

Please make more memory available for application and retry.

When I click OK the same warning just keeps coming.

In the Windows Task Manager I see:

Physical Memory
Total 2087340
Available 520768
Syatem Cache 536764 (approximately)

Commit Charge
Total 2094012
Limit 6026564
Peak 2897300

I have to kill the process to get on.

What can I do??
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

This is strange.. Perhaps there is not enough continuous memory to accomodate a frame. Could you let me know the size of the frame in the clip that causes NV to stuck with this error? Also, does this happen in the very beginning of the rendering process or somewhere in the middle?

Also, if you use any other filters or anything special in your project please let me know. We will try to reproduce the effect on our computers to identify the spot where this is happening and to see what could be done to avoid such problems.

Thank you,
Vlad
ritsmer

Post by ritsmer »

Right.
Since yesterday I have been boxing with it thinking that it was a special videoclip that made the trouble. So I have rendered parts of the video to find out which clip it was.
However it is no special clip. It seems, that the error message comes after a longer time (10-30 minutes) of rendering.
I can render the whole video in parts of 1-5 minutes.
If I choose bigger parts i.e. 5-10 minutes, I get the error 1 or 2 times of 3 renderings of the same piece.

The Video making the trouble uses Neat in many (20-30) clips.
Videos only using Neat on a few clips render perfectly to the end without problems.

The memory block size mentioned in the error message is always 9 to10 MB.

I have installed and used freeram XP - but it makes no difference. Also running og freeram XP when the error message comes does not make the error go away.

My PC is free of virus etc. Harddisks are defragged once a week.

If I can run any tests, please just tell me.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Could you let me know the size of the frame in the clip that causes NV to stuck with that specific error message you quoted above?

I guess the problem starts with using many instances of the plug-in and we will try to reproduce that, but the frame size is also important for diagnostics purposes.

Thank you,
Vlad
ritsmer

Post by ritsmer »

The videoclips are all 640x480x24. They are originally in .AVI format (MJPEG) and with 30 Fps.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

When open a frame from such a clip in Neat Video plug-in to build a noise profile, does Neat Video also show the frame size 640x480 in the bottom of the plug-in window?

Thank you,
Vlad
ritsmer

Post by ritsmer »

No.
For all clips it shows: 640x384 (progressive) Profile quality 53%.

The videoclips are originally 640x480, but they are cropped in VMS to 640x384 because the finishing video is 16:9 - i.e. 1360x768.

The strange 1360 is no typing error, but for some unknown reason my only 6 months old 50 inch plasma shows 1360x768 much sharper than its native 1366x768 - so I render all videos to 1360...

Finally I use 136x x 768 instead of 640x384 because I mix many still pictures (3 Mpixel) into the video.

If it means anything in this connection the videos and the stills are often connected by crossfades, page peel etc.
Also several videoclips - both filtered by Neat - are connected by crossfades etc. which must cause 2 or more instances of Neat to run in parallel for more seconds video time - which can be minutes in real time, as the rendering of such things really takes cpu power.
Last edited by ritsmer on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for more details and clarifications. I suspected it was something about 1360x766 during the rendering process, but was not sure. Now I know exactly. This should help us locate the spot in the program code where the problem occures. Thank you very much for the input, we are continuing the search now.

Vlad
ritsmer

Post by ritsmer »

If it helps I have just edited my former post while you answered it. Sorry :-)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, thank you for the update. I keep in mind that there are 20-30 instances of NV in the video and some of them may overlap.

Vlad
ritsmer

Problem solved

Post by ritsmer »

I just got time to install version 2.0 of Neat Video and test it with my issue.
Result: it works perfectly without any of the problems I had before.
Thank You.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Good news! Thank you for checking!

Vlad
martinperreault

Post by martinperreault »

HI,

has this problem been fixed?
I am currently editing a big project, and I get the same problem as described above. In my case, I don't even have to render to get the error message. I edit in my timeline a HDV project, about 30 minutes long, with many clips and stuff on the timeline. I added NV to a few clips. After a while, if I click on the timelnie at a position where a clip with NV is located at, a window pops up with the error message.

This is quite irritating because I have to close the software and start again. Plus, I didn't try to render the complete project yet and I fear the project wont render properly due to this error message... (more on that to follow this weekend).

What is the status on fixing this issue?

Thank you,

Martin Perreault
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Have you updated your version of NV to the latest v2.0 or are you still using v1.x that you originally purchased? We did introduce some optimizations in v2.0 so it should be more stable. If you still get that error message with v2.0 then please send an e-mail to NV support and we will try one more option.

Thank you,
Vlad
martinperreault

Post by martinperreault »

I am indeed using 2.0 ...

I will send an email to NV support.

Thank you,