FCP7 keeps freezing while Neat Video is applied

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
dwcdv

FCP7 keeps freezing while Neat Video is applied

Post by dwcdv »

this is the 2nd time I have to start over again because of a freeze.
The error message is:
Line253
Func: Malloc
Error: Neat Video (32 Bit) can not get free memory blockfrom the operating system (or plug-in host), (8294400 -byte memory block is requested from:
90f4ac53).
Please make more memory available.............
I set the memory already to 100%

Trouble is, because of the freeze, i have to start all over again.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

There is not enough free memory, not much a plug-in can do..

Please try this method:

Start FCP and go to menu Preferences > System Settings > Memory & Cache > Application

By default, the amount of memory there is set to 100%. Try reducing the amount to 60-70% and even further to 30-50%.

If more memory remains free then OSX may be more likely to be able to provide it to Neat Video when it is needed for processing. Remember to restart FCP after changing the above settings.

Thank you,
Vlad
dcouzin

Post by dcouzin »

Using Neat Video 3.2 plugin in FCP 7.0.3, I got the same error message as dwcdv did. In denoising a 1920x1080 clip, temporal radius determines how much memory is used.

memory usage according to Activity Monitor
radius=1....1.16 GB
radius=2....1.24 GB
radius=3....1.35 GB
radius=4....1.46 GB
radius=5....CRASH!

Vlad's suggestion to change the FCP7 memory allocation avoided the crash. Hurrah, but how does it work?

The problem isn't a lack of system memory. My system has 14 GB and dwcdv's system probably has lots too. Neat Video is running within FCP7, and FCP7 is supposedly limited to using 2.56 GB. When the FCP7 System Setting for memory is made 50% it says that just 1.28 GB memory is allocated to FCP7. But now the radius=5 render works:

radius=5....1.56 GB

FCP7 is using more than its allocation and Neat Video is happy! When the FCP7 System Setting for memory is made 30% it says that just 0.77 GB memory is allocated to FCP7. Now the radius=5 still works, like so:

radius=5....1.16 GB

Somehow Neat Video is satisfied with less memory than before. Yet FCP is still taking more than it's allocation.

The render time is no different with the System Setting at 30% or 50% (or 80%, which also uses 1.56 GB).

Activity Monitor shows no other processes using significant memory. What is going on?

Thanks.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Activity Monitor shows the amount of memory used by FCP and all active plug-ins (including NV) combined. Not just FCP own use but the whole set: FCP, NV, other plug-ins and video codecs involved in rendering. All of them combined are limited (by the architecture of OSX, not by that FCP setting) to that 2.5-3GB limit, and so if you restrict FCP itself then more memory within that limited amount remains available to plug-ins and codecs.

Vlad
dcouzin

Post by dcouzin »

Thanking Vlad for this explanation, much like his from 27 May.

FCP7 crashes when it is allocated 100% of memory (said to be 2.56 GB) and about 1.56 GB total memory is needed. FCP doesn't crash when it is allocated 80% of memory (said to be 2.05 GB) and about 1.56 GB total memory is needed. One way to explain this is that when FCP7 is allocated 2.56 GB, even though it is using less than 1.56 GB, not enough memory is available to NV due to a failure of OSX. NV can't be demanding more than about 0.5 GB of the 1.56 GB total.

I'm running OSX 10.6.8. I've used other plugins with FCP7 in this OSX without such out-of-memory crashes. It seems that NV is requesting memory in a way the OSX can't handle.

Vlad's solution works. And NV with temporal radius=5 is doing a beautiful job of denoising my material.