Specs of systems that have no problems with NV?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
rimage

Specs of systems that have no problems with NV?

Post by rimage »

Anyone use NV successfully and have no problems?

What codec is the source video, what are you saving to, what app are you using it within, what are your O/S and hardware specifics?

What's the longest video you've processed with it?

Thanks
Trixter

Post by Trixter »

I've used NeatVideo on many systems and never had an issue. My current system is a Core i7-920 from 4 years ago and currently using Premiere Pro CS5 with a GTX 470 video card. This setup when optimized can noisereduce around 80% realtime of an SD video, and an HD video roughly 5fps. I've used it on 2-hour projects without any issues.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Currently this is what I use.

i5 based, Windows 7, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD7950

I work in a 32 bit environment, mostly with Blu Ray sources files, usually AVC in Mpeg2 Transport Streams, but occasionally I run across VC-1.

So far all the content I've worked with is 23.976 Progressive.

I use Virtualdub 32-bit, mostly for compatibility issues with Avisynth and other filters I used to use a lot, but I'll probably investigate moving to a 64-bit pipeline for the specific purposes I use NeatVideo.

I import my source files with a DirectShow filter for Virtualdub, although I am not happy it ends up coming in as RGB888 and I am looking at ways around it. But in terms of workflow, it is flawless.

I drop NV into the filter chain, followed by a Convert to YV12, make sure Vdub is set to output YV12 and then export my filtered clip to an intermediate file stored in UT Codec, using the YUV420 / ULH0 format.

Then I use MeGUI to run it through x264 @ 10-bit to save some space and maybe help a little with color banding.

So far its been working great, although I still wish NV would run faster. I usually leave it on GPU only, as using the CPU ends up slowing it down more than not when exporting (which is odd because CPU usage of UT/Lagarith etc is not that bad in the first place).

I actually downloaded the latest version, which promised a significant speed boost on AMD GPU's, but I didn't really see it tbh.. I usually max out at around 14FPS and then drop a few FPS to level off around 11-12 FPS.

It usually takes me around 45 - 60m to export a filtered 26 minute Anime episode for example. Full length movies take a few hours.