Frame Shifting FCPX 10.0.9

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
Andrew Gray

Frame Shifting FCPX 10.0.9

Post by Andrew Gray »

Good Afternoon All,

I just purchased this plugin last night and absolutely love how effective it is at noise removal. I do have one concern, though, that I'm hoping can be worked around.

Lets say I have a 5 second video clip which pans left to right between 5 different fruits sitting on a table: Apple, Orange, Banana, Grapes, Tomato. If I navigate to the :02 mark in my timeline (with video stopped), my viewer displays the Orange.

If I add Neat Video to the effects chain, build my profile, apply, and render the clip, the :02 frame now displays the Grapes, instead of the Orange. Disabling Neat Video in the effects chain will shift the frame back to the Orange, as it was with the original video. Re-enabling will cause the wrong frame (Grapes) to be displayed for the :02 mark.

I am editing a large dance recital production where it is absolutely critical for the video to stay in sync with the audio. If applying this plugin is causing the video to shift a few frames, that will certainly throw off that sync. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated. I am currently using:

FCP 10.0.9
OSX 10.8.5
iMac 3.4 GHz Quad Core i7
8 GB memory

The effect is applied to a clip with a preceding dissolve transition, though I read on NV's site that the sync problem was fixed in FCPX 10.0.9. Removing the transition preceding the clip does restore the correct frame, even with Neat Video effect enabled.

I guess it's safe to say that this issue has NOT been fixed? That note on your NV's site was a large factor in my decision to purchase this plug-in, which appears to now be unusable for the project I bought it for:

"FCP X 10.0.8: FCP X 10.0.8 has a bug, which causes FCP X to introduce a missync between video and audio channels if a filter plug-in of certain type (filter doing temporal processing) is added to a clip with a preceding transition. Removing the transition resolves the missync problem. This FCP X bug seems to be fixed by Apple in FCP X 10.0.9, so you may want to update to 10.0.9."

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Andrew
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Which means the bug is not fully fixed even in FCPX 10.0.9, unfortunately. We are going to update the webpage to account for that.

Since it is going to take some time for Apple to fix that bug completely,
you may want to try the following workaround:
1. Right click on the affected clip (which has transitions on its ends) and open the clip up in a new timeline.
2. Then apply Neat Video to the clip there in the new timeline.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
RPriest

Post by RPriest »

So, this issue is not yet resolved?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

No, Apple has not yet fully fixed that bug in FCPX.

Recently I asked them a reminder about that hoping that they would be able to address that problem before the release of the upcoming update of FCPX.

Vlad
RPriest

Post by RPriest »

Okay thanks. I assume you'll be checking on this as soon as the next release of FCPX 10.1.0 is out this month (Dec 2013) and post any updates? I would like to purchase Neat Video for FCPX once the bugs have been verified as fixed. Of course, Im aware that no one knows what 10.1.0 may hold, but please post it's compatibility regardless. Thanks!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, we try to test new versions to find out their limitations and problems as soon as possible. We then describe our findings in this page. You may want to watch that page in the coming days and weeks, especially after release of the new FCPX.

Vlad