NeatVideo plug-in for Final Cut showing half height

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
spatry

NeatVideo plug-in for Final Cut showing half height

Post by spatry »

Hi,

I got a VHS video I'm trying to clean and it shows as 640x480 in Final Cut but whenever I click on "Options" for the NeatVideo plug-in it shows 640x240. Any way I can have it show 640x480 when doing my profiles?

Thanks
Sylvain...
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If the NV FC plug-in shows half of the frame then it is not frame but one field. This is normal for interlaced clips/projects.

Vlad
spatry

Post by spatry »

I've tried adding the de-interlace filter before the neatvideo plugin. didn't work. Then I used mpegstreamclip to deinterlace and create a mov file without success. I flushed all my preferences and selected DV - NTSC as default config when FCS started and tried again with same results. I've downloaded the small iguana video and it shows stretched with half the height. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks
Sylvain...
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

DV - NTSC makes an interlaced project so it is normal that FCP sends fields (instead of frames) to Neat Video, and Neat Video shows one of them in the viewer.

Does the rendered file look normal or it is also stretched with half the height?

Vlad
spatry

Post by spatry »

You are right. I thought adding the "de-interlace" plug-in first would do the trick, it didn't. I've set my timeline to be 720p and now I see the full frame.

Thanks Vlad,
Sylvain...
nlvrocks

Neatvideo plugin also shows my video with half the height

Post by nlvrocks »

Hi,

I read this discussion on this thread, but I am having the same issue as well where the height is cut in half. In my case, the video is 16:9, DV- NTSC, and the frame size is 873x480, but Neatvideo is showing the frame as 873x240 which makes it difficult to select the recommended area larger than 128x128 in order to create a profile. I am using Adobe premier CS4 to edit.

I also tried the de-interlacing option on the timeline before applying neatvideo, but that didn't fix the issue either. Is there a solution you can offer me on Premier CS4 in order to send "frames" and not "fields" as was mentioned on this discussion?

The rendered video looks normal (873 x 480). But I have a feeling that I could get better result if neatvideo plugin didn't compress the height.

Spatry mentioned that he set his timeline to 720p and then he then he could see the full frame in neatvideo plugin. I am having difficulty finding similar option on Adobe Premier CS4. Any tips on this?

Appreciate any help/tips you could offer.

Thanks,
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is all normal when you work with an interlaced project / sequence in Premiere. Check the project settings (sequence settings) where you set the frame size and field order. It must show "None" (not "Lower" or "Upper") to use the progressive scan type.

Thank you,
Vlad
nlvrocks

Post by nlvrocks »

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you said, and unfortunately it didn't work. This is what I did:

- In the project pane of CS premier, I right clicked on the video filename.
- Then from the menu selected 'Interpret Footage'
- Under 'Field order' selected 'Conform to No Fields (Progressive Scan)'.

Yet, neatVideo still showed the video frame shrunk in height.

I try to play around with this some more. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

That is not the right place. Please find the settings of the Sequence or Project in Premiere and adjust the field order to None (progressive) there. That is what controls how Premiere works with video stream.

Thank you,
Vlad
nlvrocks

Post by nlvrocks »

Nice!!!!! It worked like a charm.

The only trouble is that premier does not allow me to modify the existing sequence. I created a new sequence, which allowed me to set its field order to "No Fields (Progressive Scan)". I then imported my video into the timeline of this new sequence, and now NeatVideo plugin shows the correct video frame size. This will help me a lot in my several other projects coming up.

Thanks!
Krzysztof

FCPX problem in NV

Post by Krzysztof »

I am having the same problems in FCPX. I have followed al the suggestions offered yet a 1920 x1080 is displayed as 1920 x 540 in the neat video display window. Please advise.

Regards

Krzysztof