Insufficient memory issue using NV within Virtualdub

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
rimage

Insufficient memory issue using NV within Virtualdub

Post by rimage »

I've been trying out the NV demo version processing a 3 minute DV avi segment via Virtualdub. The file that's being processed has been deinterlaced through Avisynth using QTGMC and is 59.94 progressive.

It gets about a minute into the processing and I get an insufficient memory message. Doesn't matter if I save to HuffYuv or Mainconcept DV codec.

Running XP Pro SP3, 4 gigs RAM.

Using Virtualdub 1.10.2

All input is appreciated.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

1. What does the message say exactly?
2. Is it 32-bit version of VirtualDub?
3. Is the problem reproducible if you replace the original clip with another clip stored in another format/codec?

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

QTGMC can use a lot of memory, and if in avisynth you don't limit memory with SetMemoryMax, avisynth also use bigger and bigger cache.
Windows XP Pro SP3, so 32 bits OS (there is no other OS with SP3, XP64 end with SP2). Windows XP don't use more than 3G of ram, so in this case, having 4G is... useless.
If your video is SD, i suggest in the begining of your avisynth script to put SetMemoryMax(64), if your video is HD, put SetMemoryMax(192). It's not to limit the memory for avisynth, it's to limit the cache avisynth will use, otherwise, it can use by default unitl 50% of ram... Only for cache, you've to add also the memory used by avisynth and the pluggins... not much left for others... And if you're also using MT version of avisynth, with QTGMC, you'll explode the memory used.
So, my first suggestion is to put SetMemoryMax in begining of your script, and also post your script.
rimage

Post by rimage »

NVTeam wrote:1. What does the message say exactly?
2. Is it 32-bit version of VirtualDub?
3. Is the problem reproducible if you replace the original clip with another clip stored in another format/codec?

Thank you,
Vlad
32-bit version.

Message is:

Write error occurred on file "sourcefile.avi": Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Yes, happens with DV or Huffyuv.
rimage

Post by rimage »

jpsdr wrote:QTGMC can use a lot of memory, and if in avisynth you don't limit memory with SetMemoryMax, avisynth also use bigger and bigger cache.
The file was already created - avisynth isn't part of the equation at this point.

Does the exact same thing whether I'm using an avs file or an already created avi
rimage

Post by rimage »

Nothing?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The error message doesn't come from Neat Video. Probably from VirtualDub. Please try the release build of VirtualDub -- 1.9.11 (instead of experimental 1.10.2).

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I'll ask stupid questions :
- Are you sure it's a memory issue ? (Look at it in Windows Task Manager)
- Your hhd is not full ?
- You're not trying to write a file of more than 4GB on FAT32 ?

Normal questions :
At what size your file stop ? What % of processing ?
rimage

Post by rimage »

NVTeam wrote:The error message doesn't come from Neat Video. Probably from VirtualDub. Please try the release build of VirtualDub -- 1.9.11 (instead of experimental 1.10.2).

Thank you,
Vlad
Get the same result.

How do you know it isn't an error due to NV?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I cannot exclude some indirect influence of NV (it uses memory for sure) but that message is certainly not coming from NV itself.

Vlad
rimage

Post by rimage »

NVTeam wrote:I cannot exclude some indirect influence of NV (it uses memory for sure) but that message is certainly not coming from NV itself.

Vlad
Since it's being processed within Virtualdub, would you expect it to come "from" Neatvideo or rather because of it? I've never seen this error with any other filter.
rimage

Post by rimage »

jpsdr wrote:I'll ask stupid questions :
- Are you sure it's a memory issue ? (Look at it in Windows Task Manager)
I can't say for sure - I'm reporting what the error message is.
- Your hhd is not full ?
- You're not trying to write a file of more than 4GB on FAT32 ?
Lots of room on the drives, NTFS drives.
Normal questions :
At what size your file stop ? What % of processing ?
It doesn't seem to be consistent from file to file but it processes approx 1:30 - 1:50 give or take before it crashes. The part that gets processed looks pretty good until about the last 20 secs or so and there are these odd artifacts where the video has blocks within it where parts are moving and other parts aren't.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I'm using NV with VD for years, process 1080p video of 2h long without issue.
So, can you tell very precisely and exactly what you're doing ?
- Input file : avi open directly or with an avisynth script ?
If avisynth script, post the script.
What codec is used for the input file, output file ?
Personnaly, for lossless, after using huffyuv, lagarith, i'm now using UT Video. If you don't know them, i suggest you take a look and try them.
What is the configuration of VDub ? Input/ouput color depth, "Option->Preference" configuration (specialy threading/3D). You filter chain, codec output. Configuration of NV (radius, number of processor used, GPU used ?)
Personnaly, i've always used latest version (actualy i'm using latest 1.10.4) without issue on WindowsXP SP3 with 3GB of memory.
barney

Re: Insufficient memory issue using NV within Virtualdub

Post by barney »

RobertP wrote:I've been trying out the NV demo version processing a 3 minute DV avi segment via Virtualdub. The file that's being processed has been deinterlaced through Avisynth using QTGMC and is 59.94 progressive.

It gets about a minute into the processing and I get an insufficient memory message. Doesn't matter if I save to HuffYuv or Mainconcept DV codec.

Running XP Pro SP3, 4 gigs RAM.

Using Virtualdub 1.10.2

All input is appreciated.
FWIW, the first thing I'd check is the size and number of buffers you're using in Virtualdub. Easy check, write down what you have set now, reduce everything to minimum, and see if you still crash. If no change, set them back to what you wrote down. And don't use buffered disk i/o in Virtualdub.
rimage

Re: Insufficient memory issue using NV within Virtualdub

Post by rimage »

barney wrote:FWIW, the first thing I'd check is the size and number of buffers you're using in Virtualdub. Easy check, write down what you have set now, reduce everything to minimum, and see if you still crash. If no change, set them back to what you wrote down. And don't use buffered disk i/o in Virtualdub.
Hi Barney, where would I find these settings? So far looking under preferences I don't see this.

Thanks.