FCPX Workflow Guidance

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
simonpwood

FCPX Workflow Guidance

Post by simonpwood »

Hi guys,
Neat is working great with FCPX, so thanks for that.
I would like to clarify something that I am wondering about, and this is a topic that seems to come up quite a bit in other forums.
What is the best workflow using Neat Video in FCPX?

Generally I complete the edit.
Then apply Neat Video, and background render.
Then I apply the Grade, and background render.
Then export the final movie.

Is that about right?

As the render can take a long time, and because Neat is processor heavy I was wondering would it be worthwhile to do the following:

Copy the clips that need noise reduction to a new timeline.
Then apply Neat, and export the clip as ProRes.
Then reimport the clips to the original timeline.
I guess this would mean you have to do a number of smaller exports in the beginning, but the final edit does not need noise reduction filtering to take place (meaning a shorter final export)?

Would the above work (assuming ProRes is good for a few generations before you see any quality loss)?

Hope someone can set me straight on the best workflows!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

That would of course work but would complicate your workflow. Using the filter a straightforward way on the other hand is simpler but may lead to time-consuming re-rendering. Both ways are valid and the choice between them would probably depend on specific project, on the way you work and your preferences.

I guess the following idea may be useful to avoid long re-rendering:
- once you set up NV in a clip and make sure the noise reduction looks good, disable the filter in that clip;
- continue to edit: perhaps add and set up other filters, make sure their results look good;
- when you are ready to render or export, re-enable NV in that clip (perhaps in several clips) and then render or export.

This way NV would be applied to the whole clip only once and you would not need to spend more time than necessary on rendering.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
simonpwood

Post by simonpwood »

Got it, thanks!
CinemAloha

Re: FCPX Workflow Guidance

Post by CinemAloha »

simonpwood wrote:Hi guys,
Neat is working great with FCPX, so thanks for that.
I would like to clarify something that I am wondering about, and this is a topic that seems to come up quite a bit in other forums.
What is the best workflow using Neat Video in FCPX?

Generally I complete the edit.
Then apply Neat Video, and background render.
Then I apply the Grade, and background render.
Then export the final movie.

Is that about right?

As the render can take a long time, and because Neat is processor heavy I was wondering would it be worthwhile to do the following:

Copy the clips that need noise reduction to a new timeline.
Then apply Neat, and export the clip as ProRes.
Then reimport the clips to the original timeline.
I guess this would mean you have to do a number of smaller exports in the beginning, but the final edit does not need noise reduction filtering to take place (meaning a shorter final export)?

Would the above work (assuming ProRes is good for a few generations before you see any quality loss)?

Hope someone can set me straight on the best workflows!
I have a similar workflow, except add Denoiser at the very end:
  • +Roughcut
    +Create Story & Fine Cut
    +Audio Edit
    +CC/Grade (Crush blacks, raise mids alot, lower the highlights a tad)
    +Then finally add the Denoiser because timeline playback becomes really slow after the plugin is added so it's the last to be applied.
    +Export.
If there were needed adjustments in the timeline, and wanted to preview it - the viewer becomes really choppy - so you must be sure that everything is buttoned down and have a picture lock before adding the Denoiser.
But my render speeds are really slow since using Denoiser. Anyone else having similar experience? TIA.